Chapter 35

Felix had been angrily sipping her Cherry Coke when Aunt Ellie tore Zanes gloves off.  

At first, she thought she was hallucinating. That her feelings were making her see horrible things. Or worse, the soda had insanity inducing properties. 

She blinked. She blinked again. Everything was the same. 

And that was the most awful part about it.  

Felix flew out of her seat as Zane stood stunned, unable to move. Aunt Ellie slowly moved backwards.  

Zanes shoes were crumbling to ashes, and the floor grew wide cracks. Someone screamed. The music stopped. All Felix could think about was getting to Zane.  

When he saw her running he waved his hands, yelling for her to stop. But she wasn't going to stop. She couldn't. 

The floor was cracking faster now. Deep, jagged crevices spread outward from Zane, almost causing Felix to trip.  

"Felix, stop!" Zane demanded, stepping back. "Stay away." 

 Felix considered taking her own gloves and giving them to him. But all of theirs had been specifically designed and she doubted hers would hit the right pressure points. Or fit.  

So, as impulsively as Ollie, she grabbed his hands. 

Zane screamed, fighting her, but she refused to let go. Felix squeezed his palm and fingers as hard as she could without breaking his hands. She braced herself in case she began imploding because of his touch.  

Zane continued to fight and Felix wanted to say she felt her heart slow slightly before picking up pace again.  

Nothing happened. 

The floor stopped cracking. Zanes shoes stop disintegrating. There was silence.  

Until a man entered. 

 His face was immemorable, except for his oddly misshapen nose. It was like someone had smashed it and it never healed correctly. Felix heard Remy gasp. 

 Aunt Ellie walked up to him. Felix's grip tightened. 

"Jase," she said. "Why don't you tell them why you're here?"