41 || Bargaining || Part 1

Start from the beginning

The portal structure was made of a stone I had never seen before in my life. It was a pale yellowy-white framed with deep blue and green metal at the top. 

"This is it," Dream says. I pull the radio off his belt. 

"Guys, we've found it," I say into the radio. It's fast to crackle to life again. 

"What colour is your paint?" It's Tubbo. 

"Green."

"I wonder who picked it," Techno's familiar sarcastic humour butted in. Dream snatches the radio like a child. 

"It's a good colour!" he scoffs making me laugh. 

****

The lava is warm around my ankles as I reach up with another ender eye and skewer it on the small spike in the centre of the frame. Familiar blue particles start to surround it as they had done to each eye. 

I clutch the pearls tighter to my chest and pull up the hem of my pants which was slipping again with a sigh. The room was filled with the stinking smell of molten rock and the clanking of armour as everybody suited up into netherite. 

When I took off my shoes to walk in the lava Tubbo, Ranboo and I laughed as everybody started to question my sanity and try to change my mind. Dream couldn't have been more confused. They freaked out a little when I dipped my hand in first and showed them my blackened skin, but they eventually accepted it. Although, I'm certain Dream looked like he was about to pass out. 

I leave one of the eyes out, the one at the front of the stairs so that we would have time to finish getting ready. I step out of the lava letting fat drops start to smoke and stink even more as they hit the cool mossy stone bricks. I roll the hems of my pants back down and slip my shoes and socks back on. 

I sling my axe on my back and stare at the portal. The things I knew about the End were elusive and random. They didn't match together and nearly all the stories missed vital pieces. Would we even be welcome there? Would there be a city? Or a dragon? Or both? Would the Goddess of Death even allow us to see her let alone leave again?

I look away from the portal and notice Ranboo's anxiously flicking tail. My movement to stand at his side is nearly an instinct. 

"I can't believe I'm going to see it," he mutters staring at the unlit portal. 

"I'll be right there if you need me," I promise him. I feel his tail brush my calf and I look up at his face. 

"I thought I'd never get to see it... Maybe my family will be there," Ranboo's eyes conveyed a longing that I knew he didn't know he felt. Family is something that means so much to the two of us. Ranboo finding his parents would be something extraordinary. 

"If they're there, we'll find them," I promise. 

"Everyone is ready," Tubbo comes up on my other side startling me. Why was I so jumpy today? I look around the room and notice everybody watching me expectantly, ready to jump into the unknown. 

Hesitantly, I step away from Ranboo and up the stairs to the edge of the portal. I skewer the final eye and almost instantly, the portal lights. It wasn't like a nether portal, this portal seemed to be made of stars. Billions of white stars. 

"I'll go first with Phil," Techno's deep voice cuts through the silence. Phil sighs and Techno claps his shoulder with a grin. I move out of their way and they approach the portal.