Prologue

A little girl of eight sat outside brushing her brother's hair absently, watching in absolute interest as the rain water patted on the window before her. Inside, her parents were talking to the doctor and she was to look after her tiny brother. It was her favourite past time so she agreed.
     'Repressed memory.' The doctor informed the woman in front of him forcing her out of her reverie.
     'Meaning?' She asked bracing herself even though she knew.
     'They can't remember the trauma because their brain informed their body that it can't handle it. I thought only the girl had it but now seems like both your children developed it on full strength.'
     'Can't you help them?' Her husband asked. It was the best way they could help themselves she thought bitterly. Because what they don't remember won't hurt them.
     The stench of medicine hurt her nose but she suppressed a sneeze. She didn't like hospitals much. As her eyes darted around the charts showing various nutrition charts and a skeleton the doctor spoke again.
     'Talking helps. But right now, it's best to leave them be. Let them grow up like normal children. Leave the place if you can, it'll be best to keep them well protected from the horrors they experienced here.' Yes, they should do that. She'd do anything to let them grow up in peace.
     'Thank you.' She said earning an are you out of your mind glare from her husband but she didn't care. She just wanted to go and sit with them.
     She got up from the uncomfortable seat and reached for the door knob. 'She's strong you know' the doctor spoke behind her. 'She wouldn't seem like it but I think she is.'
     'She must be.' She gave him the best smile she could muster at the moment and left the room.
     The girl let her eyes slide away from the window pane and saw her mother looking down at them both standing by the door. Her eyes were thinking, not alight with mischief like always. The girl knew something changed but couldn't understand what.
     'Are we going home?' She piped.
     'Yes.' Her mother whispered, her warm lips leaving a wet kiss on the girl's forehead.