Chapter 8: New Home

Start from the beginning

The smile tightened a tiny bit as I leaned down and picked up the petal, the delicate thing breaking apart relatively quickly between my fingers, drying out even with the water that remained within the vase itself. Sighing, I clutched it within my non-burned hand before casting the remains into the trash at its side.

F/N: Even the prettiest things don't last forever.

I muttered softly before moving over to a box and cutting it open, extracting a set of clothes, then made my way past the rest of the rooms into the shared bathroom, the others seemingly already having set out the soups and whatnot. It didn't take me long to draw the bath and sink under its warm blanket. The water, which still stung softly against the burn on my left hand, began to numb as the steam grew within the enclosed space.

Relaxing slowly, I couldn't help but think back upon the last few weeks. Everything was changing so rapidly that it was almost scary. For so long, I thought I'd escaped my other life. The haunting thoughts of one day being hunted down for something out of my control had nearly faded from my mind. Now, I'm living with not one but two dragons, both of which were ok with what I was. Sure, there will always be that fear of the past, something like that would never leave for centuries at best, but they could look past that.

And with these thoughts, letting out a content sigh, I let forth everything. The subtle sound of my tail and wings spreading through the water, casting ripples across its surface. The feeling of water dripping against the cooler horns and spiked forearms. I couldn't even remember when I had allowed myself to fully release the magic I cast upon myself, to hide what I was. Though this little self-reflection didn't last forever as the door's creaking turned my attention to Tohru. Feeling my cheeks flare up instantly, I sat upright as the dragon giggled, sloshing some water over the tubs side.

Tohru: Hehe, care if I wash your back?

F/N: A-ah little, don't you think that's a bit weird to ask?

I stuttered as Tohru shrugged, taking a step inside while closing the door behind her.

Tohru: Well, Ms. Kobayashi did say she liked keeping things clean, so that should extend to you as well.

F/N: Really? That's your angle...Fine, look away for a moment, would you?

I said, the redness of my cheeks not fading as I pulled the plug on the bath, glancing over at Tohru every so often as she kept her back to me. This made my movements rather clumsy as I stumbled out of the tub, paranoid of the young women catching a peak. I was eventually able to settle down on a bath stool.

F/N: You can turn around now.

I said, a tiny squeak working its way in there as the dragon huffed, her footsteps sounding off as she strode over.

Tohru: You know I will never understand human culture, so many rules about what's appropriate and what's not.

She said, picking up the sponge and gently starting to rub it over my back. The feeling of which let me drop my shoulders with a sigh, her movements slow as she scrubbed my wings. From her comment tough, I glanced back at her with a shrug.

F/N: Well, you'll get used to it, eventually.

Tohru: Maybe, how long did it take you? Being in that human form for so long.

She said as she moved up to my shoulders, her voice trailing off near the end. Letting out a sigh, I slumped my shoulders, as I looked away and up towards the ceiling.

F/N: I haven't yet actually, never had the luxury of being carefree. There was always the fear that someday, someone would come for me. So, I never felt comfortable allowing myself to be the true me. Then again, you don't like your human form all that much, do you?

I asked, looking back at her again. Watching as Tohru's eyes fell slightly, before she set the sponge aside and pulled me into a small hug. My cheeks instantly felt like they were on fire as the dragon's chest pressed up against my back while she spoke.

Tohru: Yes, but it's complicated. Things were so simple being a dragon, no real rules to follow, the freedom to do as I pleased, but I left it all behind. Besides a few dragons, the rest think I'm dead. Now I live here, with Kanna, Ms. Kobayashi, and you, and I love it here.

She said, gently resting her head atop mine. The two of us sat like that for a while as water slowly dripped on the walls. Before long, I placed a gentle hand over Tohru's, glancing up at her once more.

F/N: Well, guess we aren't so different now, finding better lives here than in our world.

I said, looking up at Tohru as she pulled away, our eyes meeting a little as she nodded. Our gazes stayed locked like that for a while, drinking in the colors of each's eyes. However, the moment was abruptly broken as the door opened, both of us looking back to see Kanna entering the bathroom.

Kanna: Lady Tohru, can you wash my back too?

She asked, looking at both of us for a moment as my eyes went wide.

F/N: Kanna, get out of here!? T-tohru get me a towel?!

I yelled and thus began a whole charade in the bathroom of not breaking any more preconceived human rules. Thankfully, none were broken, and the rest of the night ended uneventfully, leading to the following morning's events. Waking up with a loud yawn, I got myself clothed up and exited my room to an aroma coming from the kitchen.

F/N: Morning, Tohru.

Tohru: Morning F/N.

She said happily, flashing me a small smile before returning to her cooking. Smiling myself as I watched her cook, a gleam caught my eye as I looked back. The light was shining just the right way through the window that illuminated the whole space. The pleasant sight steered up memories from last night as I looked back at Tohru.

F/N: Hey, why don't I pay you back for last night?

I said, Tohru freezing up before looking back meet my eyes.

Tohru: W-what?

F/N: I want to pay you back for washing my back last night, so if you want, we can go-

I said before her face was a beacon of joy, as she frantically turned off the stove and started to make her way outside in a flurry of motion. Shaking my head a little, I followed right behind the dragon as we made our way to the roof. With that, what followed could be best described as washing a car, besides the occasional sighs of gratitude from the receiving dragon.

Tohru: Huuuuuuuh, thank you F/N.

She said with a groan as I washed over her scales with the hose. The dragon having grown a very blissful expiration as the water cascaded over her scales, making them shine like gemstones. 

F/N: Well, you're very welcome, Tohru. Just let me know if you want to do this again.

I said, getting the last bit under her wings, then moving to shut off the hose. Tohru nodded in reply as she got to her feet while I began to wrap up the hose, but as soon I was done, a subtle chill ran down my spine as I looked back at Tohru's dragon form. Her wings raised high and fully outstretched as a realization hit me like a truck.

F/N: What?...oh crap, Tohru, wait!

I yelled out, but it was already too late as she beat her wings down, blowing the water free from her scaly body. Though what would be a harmless act of just blowing the water into the air, I was not spared that luxury. As Tohru transformed into her human form, she gleefully turned to face me before putting her hands over her mouth. For you see, I was now drenched head to toe, my bangs hanging over my eyes as I looked down at myself, then back at Tohru.

F/N: Well, guess I don't need to shower before work.

I said with a wry smile as I blew the hair out of my face, Tohru's expression changing from shock to a bit of amusement at my predicament.

Tohru: Would you like me to get you a towel?

She said through some giggles as I flicked some water off my arms.

F/N: If you don't mind.

I said, her giggles fading any of my ill will towards her, and so, I made my way back down to the apartment with her at my side. Things were looking brighter for us, a new apartment, great friends and a job I tolerate. What could ruin our lives here now?