𝒟𝒶𝓃𝒹𝑒𝓁𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈

Start from the beginning

I was so lost in his face when I suddenly felt Rajeev coughing, breaking my chain of thoughts. Barrister Babu was ruffling through the pages placed on the desk which separated us from him.

I saw Barrister Babu standing there with his hands folded at the back. I gulped a lump in my throat when I saw him shooting death glares at us.

"What were you two exactly doing here?" he asked, sternly.

I bowed my head down. He was angry. I expected Rajeev to utter something but he was as scared as me. Barrister Babu's anger is one dangerous bullet that we often tried to dodge.

He spoke again, this time his voice a little high," I gave you this already solved case one week ago and you are still not able to understand a thing about this? How are you going to be good barristers if you'd just laugh around like idiots?! Work means work! I hope it's clear!"

"Yes, sir" uttered Rajeev, looking back at him.

I looked up timidly to meet his angry gaze and when my fearful eyes met his, I nodded my head in affirmation.

I guess he realised I was scared. His expressions softened and he smiled at me.

He said softly, " You don't need to get scared, Bondita."

My breath hitched.

Maybe it's the way you say my name
Maybe it's the way you play your game
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you

Yes, I was in love with him.

His voice held sweetness when he spoke to me. He'd be soft on me most of the times and it would make my heart flutter. His smile was appealing. Sometimes I wondered if he knew some witchcraft as I felt myself captivated under his magical spell.

Rajeev excused us soon after that. He had some work so he left and I was all alone with Barrister Babu. My heart hammered inside my chest. I sat down back on my desk and I saw him sitting just in front me, the desk separating us. I bit my lower lip in anticipation and worry. He was sitting with his arms crossed against his chest as he observed me. Why would he do that? I guess he was just looking at the way I worked. Who would tell him that it was so difficult for me to work when he'd sit there in front of me? On top of that, he looked so handsome today. I was finding it hard to concentrate on my work.

Nevertheless, I tried my best to concentrate but everytime, I failed miserably. My cheeks were burning red and I could feel sweat trickling down my face.

I was so sure he was noticing my strange behaviour because I saw his facial features twisting in worry.

Suddenly, he stood up and placed the back of his hand over my forehead as he asked," Are you alright, Bondita? Do you have a fever?"

Concern dripped from his husky voice.

Why would you do that , Barrister Babu?

I cursed him in my mind. My heart hammered hard and words failed to come out.

He withdrew his hand back and as I looked up at his eyes, I saw concern. I was moved.

I stammered, " I'm.....fine.... Barrister Babu."

" Are you sure?"