7 | the grinning nightmare

Start from the beginning

✦•···················•✦•···················•✦

It turns out that Carina was correct! The westernmost border of Zalis is an ominous, dark forest. I can't see anything beyond the treeline. Cemetas is not yet risen, so everything is pitch black, lit only by the far-off lanternposts. We wait by the metal fence that surrounds the city, Carina sitting atop the fence with her feet dangling off. I would never say it out loud, but holy shit this is so creepy.

"Do the others know where we are? And, Scorpius, you never told us what happened," I mention timidly. Scorpius simply levels a glare at me in response.

"The man screaming in the street claims that he was attacked by a fully transformed Corrupted. His arm was nearly severed, to the point that he'll need it amputated. His body was severely slashed up. In fact, the amputation will only occur if he lives, since that is still a question. He denied that it could've been anything but a Corrupted." A flash of resentment lodges in Scorpius's gaze. "I heard the man being questioned, while he was still conscious, since he was still burbling about Corrupted. They kept asking if he wasn't sure the offender was a demon."

Carina frowns. "And they say this region is welcoming to all species."

"Please, Cari, we all know," Scorpius snorts. "Demons are always the offender. Get it into your head, because that's how justice works here."

"It's been literal millenia," mumbles Carina, "and it's still like that."

"Hey guys. You forgot to tell us exactly where you were," pipes up Leilani's voice, and we turn back to see the white-haired girl striding towards us menacingly, although her voice is still airy and casual. Aqualia and Gemi trail behind her, their faces solemn. Although, Nia's still the picture of cheer.

"Next to the creepy forest," Carina mumbles, "Where else would you find him?"

Scorpius lightly smacks Carina on the back of the head. "It's strategic, idiot. Who would go this way, since it's so creepy? No one'd expect us."

"Yeah, but maybe not the Corrupted," Carina fires back, not accepting defeat as easily. "After all, they might just be edgier than you are."

"Shut up," Scorpius answers irritably. "Ah, there's Caprice's group and Ari's group. Excellent. We can go now."

Once they reach us, we spend some time discussing the Corrupted with each other — and by that I mean we get to hear Caprice and Ari devolve into a heated argument. "You know the Corrupted could be just around the corner," argues Caprice. "It could be looking at us right now, for all we know."

"Okay, calm down," Ari chuckles. "We'll leave now. Is that okay with everyone?"

I nod slowly, shifting my gaze to the forest. The trees seem too stiff and silent, the foliage hanging limply in place. Glowing eyes scattered in the dark is a normal sight in Galaxan forests. In fact, the realization that this forest is devoid of life ... it spooks me. It seems as if the animals know something I don't, and that's not something I love.

As Caprice and Ari continue fighting, I ignore them completely and continue scrutinizing the forest. What do they see that I don't? The wind is a nice southerly breeze, warmly coasting over my skin. At this angle, it should nicely ruffle the trees into an eruption of sound. And yet it doesn't.

And while I'm pondering this oddity, I catch the scent of something pungent and choking on the air. A dark, ominous scent that sets alarms in my body, demanding that I run. Slowly, with a feeling that I know exactly what this is, I turn around to inspect the buildings behind me.