7

Reed Baker, where are you? Where are you when I need you the most?

I cycled down the lane that led to the baking class that Reed was taking. I wasn't sure if I could meet her right away but that was the last thing I could care about. Through my teary vision, I saw Reed emerging from her class like the sun after a storm. But there was one more person next to her. Laughs spilling carelessly, they merrily chatted their way up. My legs stopped pedalling and I came to a halt and so did my heart. Did you really move on from me? Who is this boy next to you? She hadn't waited to hear my response and it felt like she didn't bother to know how I felt. The little crack in my heart closed shut instantly and my head grew hot from hurt and anger. Reed acted all mighty because she could feel and understand what she felt and belittled me so easily. But was it also easy for her to abandon me with her emotional dump? I decided to end this once and for all.

I dropped the bicycle on the stone pavement beside me and walked swiftly towards them. Reed noticed me and I saw an instant flash of fear. And that was my window to jump in and sabotage her. I halted them both, standing tall and big over them. The boy next to her was only a few centimeters shorter than me, but my jealousy grew large and towered over him. There was confusion written all over his face and since I had more important things to deal with, I only said to him,

"Scram."

"You are blocking our way, old lady." he hit back. I leaned closer to his ear.

"You better get lost before I turn you into the pastries you just baked, except it won't be sweet."

"Bailey! Don't bully Louis!" I was immediately pulled away from him. I turned to her and scoffed, "So you finally talk."

She sharply inhaled, swallowing the second-hand embarrassment I had caused and quietly asked the Louis boy to leave. My anger couldn't wait for him to disappear from the street and I was already bursting open.

"You, Miss sweet little Reed Baker. You explode on me after doing a string of confusing things and now I find you happily laughing with a boy? I guess you have finally moved on and made friends your age?" I could myself sense the spite that was leaking off my lips. Reed's eyes enlarged and every muscle in her face quivered.

"Bailey, please don't say things you don't mean." she reached to hold my arm but my ego was sharp so I swatted her away.

"Things I don't mean? I'm only talking about what I just saw."

"You don't have a clue! And let's not fight in the middle of the road."

She made me cycle us to the brook we frequented. It was a fairly long ride. I guessed it was somewhere around 5pm and the evening wind blew through my hair. None of us spoke. I couldn't see what expression she made as she sat behind me. I wondered if she was using the time to hate me. The more I cycled through the tough sandy path, the more my heart grew quiet. The anger dissolved and shame took over. Where had my manners gone? Had I stooped that low, that I was threatening people now? What are you really doing to me Reed Baker? I crumble at your mere sight.

Reed got off the bicycle carefully once we reached the brook. I rode the bicycle a little further before I ditched on the grass. The trickling of the beautiful crystal clear water always calmed me. Men may come and men may go, but I go on forever. Funny how I remembered this every time I was at the brook. Unchanging. I bent down to wash my sweaty face and stared at my distorted reflection in it. It was a sort of a humbling moment for me to see myself in pieces like that because I believed that's how I really looked, at that moment. In pieces.

"I heard you came down with a flu. I'm sorry for making you cycle us here. Are you okay?" How funny.

"So now you worry?" I scoffed again.