two

Your head was aching, your heart felt like it was pounding to escape your ribcage. You could hear the blood rushing through your ears, your heartbeat faster than ever.

Since when was it this easy for them to kill me?

The bottom half of your leg had become a deadweight, the blood loss beginning to take its toll. On the other hand, your shoulder, however painful it may be, became very useful in holding your body up against trees when needed.

You were a few steps away from where the trees would end, and where a lively village would start. Light beamed from each and every store and house, somehow still alive at this ungodly hour.

Maybe it was close to daybreak.

A hot surge of pain trailed through your back, a harsh reminder that the tip of the supposedly poisoned arrow was still rooted deep in your muscles. It was too late to pull it out know, plus everybody knows that if you get stabbed, you never pull out the blade, it will lead you to die of blood loss every single time.

You couldn't die out here, let alone by a stupid arrow! Stupid thin coat, absolutely no protection at all!

One step away from the stability of the forest. Two steps. Now three. Four? Fi-

Another swirl of agony up the back of your thigh was enough to let you tumble to the ground, dirtying the pristine white snow in your scarlet red blood.

You attempted to call for help, for anyone to see you and rescue you, but all that your body would allow was a strangled moan.

Cursing yourself out for not being strong enough to even speak, you pushed yourself up and  onto your elbows, deciding crawling was your next best option.

Six steps- or crawls, if you will- out, seven, eight, nine – nearly at a building!- ten, man this is using a hell of a lot of energy, eleven, twelve – you pushed yourself up to lean against the back of what you assumed to be a house. Taking a minute to regain your breath, you suddenly became frighteningly aware that any of these could easily be your last.

Sucking in one last deep breath, you used all your strength just to get back on your feet. Holding yourself up on the wall, you looked down just to see a small puddle of a dark red liquid. And it was all along the wall too.

You were almost tempted to dip your finger in it and write a little sorry on the cobble but decided to conserve what little energy you had remaining.

Speaking of energy, you noticed it was becoming harder and harder to keep your eyes open.

Using the wall as a temporary crutch, you pushed yourself forward, willing yourself to get to people, to civilisation, hoping that at least one of them would be kind to you, and be generous enough to dig you a grave.

But there was no one out. The town that you could hear had died down, almost as if they heard your miserable pleas for help and wanted to hide away from you.

That, or they mixed you up with monsters. Which, they weren't completely wrong about.

You head was pounding, your heart beat pulsating as if trying to jump out of your skin.

The majority of all of the torches and lamps in the town had either gone dim or completely out, leaving the moon in all its brightness to be your only source of light. But what did it matter? You could barely see a few feet in front of you anyway.

Actually, it wasn't just your vision. All five of your senses were being completely overwhelmed;

Your vision was dark and blurry, all you could taste was that stupid bitter metallic-ness, the only scent your nose was picking up on was the sickly-sweet fumes from the poison, your hands (along with your feet, lower legs, knees, arms, ears and nose) had gone completely numb from the frost, and your ears could only hear the overwhelming sound of your heart racing.

I guess that's how you completely missed the tall figure standing right in front of you.

You ran head first into them, stumbling back, but they managed to catch you before you fell onto the ground.

The cuts from the glass were beginning to sting, too. Your whole body was in agony, and you just wanted everything to be over. You were miserable.

You didn't even notice when the rough hands let go of you and began to walk off. You didn't even notice when you fell ass first into the snow, immediately passing out from exhaustion, blood loss, and most likely hypothermia.

All you cared about, was that you couldn't feel any pain anymore, and it was like ecstasy.

You just hoped that if you did die that it would be quick, and not bring any more suffering.

But what you just couldn't figure out, was how they shot you down so easily.

You were a tough gal, known for dodging bullets and being smart. You had survived a fair share of rough situations, and 99% of the time came out unscathed. So what was different this time?

-

A rough thump sounds from over the persons shoulder. They turn around, only to view that same woman they just helped fallen over, slumped on the ground.

Though this time, they noticed the cuts, the arrow head, and all the blood.

They were much more concerned for the woman's safety now, briskly lunging over to where you lay in the snow. You were awfully pale, your right leg completely smothered in blood. Shaking your right shoulder in a weak attempt to wake you up, they realised you were fully unconscious, most likely in a coma, ready to die at any given moment.

Flipping you over to check if there were any more major injuries, they almost gasped at how bloodstained your thin cloak was. Lifting it to the assess your wounds, they realised they were in too deep to leave you here now. Your blood was so dark, it could probably pass as black.

If they walked away, you be dead in under an hour. They couldn't leave you here, it'd be on their conscience for months, possibly years. And also for the fact that you would most definitely die if they left. Totally not just because of the whole conscience thing.

Wrapping their arm around your hips to flip you back over again so you were facing the sky, they prepared themselves for a long journey.

Lucky me that I brought my horse this time.

Scooping you up like you were a mere bag of flour, the mysterious figure walked you back over to where a beautiful brown horse was trotting around, occasionally snacking on the village hay.

Pulling you closer, they impossibly manoeuvred themselves up and onto the saddle of the horse, without managing to drop you.

Your breathing was light, short and sharp.

"Let's go home, Carl," they whispered, leaning in close for the horse to hear, patting its groomed mane.

The horse immediately began to make its way back to the trail made by the very same hooves at a light canter, enough to be quick to get home, but not enough to knock you out of their arms.

They began to put pressure on the wound on the back of your knee, hoping to keep as much blood in your body as possible. The hooded figure ripped the bottom of your cloak, using it as a temporary bandage for your knee.

Whilst keeping a firm hold on your leg, they moved your cloak off of your shoulder, to be greeted with dark blood, oozing around the embedded arrow head. They didn't have the right supplies to pull it out right now without it killing you, so that would have to wait.

All they could do was put pressure on it and hope they would be home in time to treat your wounds so you would at least survive until sunrise.

This would be another one of their many sleepless nights. But at least tonight they had the chance to save a life.