Chapter Forty: A Long Plane Ride Home

Start from the beginning

Under the patch of trees lay four suitcases, a large trunk and a rather disgruntled Elias squatted inbetween them. He's dressed in light wash jeans and a rather expensive brand of black shirt with Ray-Bans covering his eyes.

I snort at the sight.

"So he's heading home then?" I ask.

Bishop puts his arm around my shoulder. "Thankfully. It's funny watching him get kicked to the curb."

I smile. "To hell with him."

Bishop and I share a look and a nod of approval.

"Bishop!"

We whirl our heads in unison and I see Alex standing ten meters away, on the other side of the stable. His arms are in the air and he's dressed head to toe in riding gear, Fletcher standing behind him with his reins over Alex's arm.

"What are you doing? Hurry the hell up!" Alex yells.

Bishop lets out an exaggerated grunt and I can't help but laugh at him.

"God, I have to ride with the Bull, her minion and your sociopathic, emo boyfriend," Bishop groans with an eye-roll. "And you're not there so I have to do it by myself!"

Shoving my hands in my pockets, I shake my head. "Oi, exactly! He's my boyfriend so be nice to him-he has his own things going on."

Bishop tuts his tongue. "This is me being nice and I'm only doing it because he's your boyfriend."

"Bishop! Come on!" Alex shouts.

I start to laugh and Bishop joins in, starting to walk away from me.

"Okay, he does make it hard sometimes I'll give you that," I call to my friend.

Bishop and Rosie soon join Fletcher and Alex and I watch with sadness swelling inside me as they make their way down the stone path towards the outdoor arena. Before they disappear around the corner of the stable, Alex looks over his shoulder and gives me a smile.

I try to ignore the butterflies in my stomach but it's impossible.

As he dips away from sight, I put my hand up and wave him off.

"Wishing you were joining them?"

I freeze at the sound of Elias's squeaky voice.

Oh, gosh. What does Braceface want now?

Slowly-he can wait for me-I turn around, the pebbles crunching under my feet. My eyes fall on Elias who is still squatting under his tree.

"I would be joining them if it wasn't for you," I snap, raising my brows at him.

He smiles so brightly from under his sunglasses, it nearly blinds me.

"Oh, I don't think so, Maddie. You needed someone to spice up your life," Elias grins.

I scoff, looking away from Elias and up at the sky. The audacity of this guy.

"Will you at least come over here and say goodbye to your partner?" he then whines.

I gape at him, not budging from my spot. "Partner?"

Elias raises his hands and presses them together in a praying position.

"For me, Maddie?" he pouts.

Oh, Sienna's in jail and he's being kicked out of the country-what's the harm?

Taking slow steps, I make my way over to Elias who has stood up and leaning against one of his suitcases.

"So you are leaving then?" I ask, walking into the small cluster of trees and placing myself so there is a suitcase between Elias and I.