Chapter Twenty-Three: Incorrect Leads and Secret Plans

It's weird to watch someone be so good at something, yet at the same time, know they shouldn't be doing it. That's how it feels to watch Elias ride. There's so much precision, so much expertise. Behind that though is force and tension.

Åska's dark neck is starting to become soaked with sweat. Elias acts like he doesn't notice and just pushes him on with his spurs. It seems that if the poor horse isn't charging around, Elias isn't satisfied. 

White foam is appearing at Åska's girth as he makes his way around the pole exercise. Around twenty poles are laid out on the sand surface of the arena, shaped in a two-loop serpentine. Perfect for Elias.

From on top of Virgo, I watch as Elias pushes Åska over each pole with a sharp push with his calves. The liver chestnut practically floats in the air inbetween bounces and when Elias asks for him to change leads through the center of the exercise, Åska obeys. 

The pair canter over the final few poles on the right rein before Elias sits deep in the saddle and asks Åska to walk. The horse snatches at the reins, asking Elias to give him some release from the strong contact he has on his mouth. Elias drops the reins, not giving him a single pat, and lets Åska wander back to the rest of the Junior riders.

Åska is much more tired and sweaty than the rest of the horses.

I catch Elias giving Sophie a wink as he and Åska walk past her. He pushes his helmet off his brow, white hair falling in front of his face. Sophie smiles back. 

Quick Maddie life update: I'm still scarred from their park... episode.

Virgo lets out a breath-he better be thanking his lucky stars I don't ride him like... that-as I turn in the saddle and widen my eyes at Lily. Her face looks concerned as she meets my eyes. She has the same horrified look on her face that everyone on the Junior Competition team shared when we first saw Elias ride. Majesty is dozing off next to her, not giving a damn.

As I look at the rest of the Senior Competition team, they also look just as bit troubled. They are all stood with their horses by the metal arena fence, waiting for their lesson. The Junior Team and I stand on the other side, in the outdoor arena that's lined with jump wings and poles.

See, we've all gotten used to seeing Elias ride like this. The older kids haven't seen it yet. They can be buddy-buddy with him all they want and ignore his flaws, but they can't ignore his ruthless riding.

Lily looks away from me and goes back to giving Majesty attention when Åska suddenly appears by Virgo's side. Elias flashes me a grin from under his helmet. Of course, he had to park right next to me.

"Well executed, Elias," Antonio says from his spot in front of us. "But like I've told you before, you don't need to be riding with so much force. Åska is an experienced horse who can get the job done. This is also just an easy exercise for flying changes; you don't need to be riding him like you would in a jump-off."

Elias nods at Antonio's words even though on the inside he isn't caring at all. He wants Antonio's downfall, not his advice. 

"Like what you saw?" Elias whispers to me.

I roll my eyes. "Not really."

Elias drops his right leg from the stirrup and quickly taps my leg with his. Virgo takes a side step away.

"You sure?" he smiles.

I go to bite back but Alex's voice cuts me off.

"Just leave her alone," he growls.

I flash Alex, who is sitting on Fletcher next to Virgo and I, a smile but he's too busy glaring at Elias to notice. I hear Elias scoff.

"Aw, Åska! Look how cute. The Beast is defending Belle. What a love story," he reptorts, leaning down onto Åska's sweaty neck. "Han förtjänar henne inte. Hon är för bra för honom."