Too Soon

“Everywhere I go ,everything I do

Reminds me of you,

Just a picture on the wall

I’m surrounded by it all

Gotta walk before I fall, yeah...”

I turned up the volume on the radio when the song began to play. This is why I listened to Capital FM.

They played my kind of music. I didn’t know all the lyrics to the song. I had first heard it a few days ago but I was already in love with it. It revived some feelings inside of me that I didn’t even know I had yet it brightened my mood at the same time. Who sang this song? The lyrics were so real, so moving.

“Nice song, ain’t it? Guys, that was When She Was Mine by Lawson. These fellas are doing well for a new band;their song is already fourth on the charts! James Barr here and this is Capital in the morning!”

Lawson...cool name, I thought. I stopped at a red light and suddenly my phone began to vibrate loudly in my bag. I was tempted to pick it up but I had to drive safe since I didn’t want to be crashing my new Jeep that Liam bought me for my birthday a few weeks ago. He knew how obsessed I was with those cars and then he just went out and bought one! What a lad! Not many girlfriends, I mean, fiancés had that privilege.

I drove up to the Starbucks nearby and parked next to the pavement. I pulled out my phone and checked the missed call. It was from none other than my fiancé, Liam. I still wasn’t used to calling him that, although it had been almost five months since he proposed to me in an awards show in front of a televised audience all over the world.

***

I could have sworn I felt all the eyes at the LA Staples Centre turn to me. To be honest, I wasn’t ready to be married, I loved Liam but I still had a lot to find out about him. So do I really want to marry him right now? No. But what are my going to say? Yes. Because I can’t embarrass him like that and besides considering all we’ve been through just to be together, saying no would be like a slap in the face to all fairy tales out there.

“Yes,” I said, apprehensively. Everyone in the arena made this sound of satisfaction or happiness, I’m not sure. My heart was racing at an irregular pace. Can we get over with this?

Liam removed a tiny box from his pocket and made his way to where I was to put the ring on my finger. I couldn’t help but beam at the size of the rock. This is insane. I’m engaged to Liam Payne of One Direction. Somebody just pinch me. He gave me a kiss on the head, which I thought was really cute because everyone was expecting us to make out or something, and then he made his way backstage with the rest of the boys.

I was excited, don’t get me wrong. But for some reason I began to panic. Was this really what I wanted? To be married at 18 and leave everything behind to start a new life with my pop star husband? Part of me said yes, but part of me said I wasn’t ready. It was a gut feeling and it was slowly eating me away.

***

I didn’t know for how much longer I would delay our wedding. I, unlike any other girl, who would have dreamed to be in my position, wasn’t even planning for it. I had all the resources. I could afford the best wedding planner in the UK, heck I could afford three wedding planners. I could get married anywhere in the world that I desired, wear a custom made designer dress fit for a princess and basically have the wedding of my dreams. But I was indifferent to the whole thing.

I just felt subdued and everything was happening too fast. I loved Liam but after our rendezvous in Venice, I expected us to come back home and finally begin a real relationship together. Sounds a bit old school but I do believe in courtship, I don’t want to end up divorcing him after seventy two days or something. Wasn’t that the point of fighting so hard for our love? But days after we’re finally set free, he’s asking me to marry him and it just didn’t feel right. I was nineteen for heaven’s sake.