Daryl's POV

"We can't find Lori - and the others aren't back yet either." I hear Carol as she walks over to me. I groan, these people are always wanting to me to find someone.

"Yeah. That dumb bitch must've gone off looking for 'em." I stare at the fire in front of me. I'm quickly growing annoyed with everyone bugging me about this, that, and the other. Yet, they haven't noticed Vanessa has been missing since this morning. She always told me going off by myself was a suicide mission, then she turned around and did it. Several fucking times. Though, one of those times, she saved me. I hate to admit it, but I'm worried. I've only known her for a week, but she's managed to get under my skin in a way I can't describe.

I saw the pain on her face when she used my own gun to shoot Sophia. I saw the pain written all over her face. I remember how she lost a child. If she's anything like I think she is, she's not taking this well. She carries a lot on her shoulders, alone. She might have everyone else fooled, but not me. She doesn't hide it as well as she thinks she does. But her going off on Shane like that was not something I expected from her. Sure, she's got a smart mouth on her, but something in her eyes told me how angry and hurt she truly is. She wanted him to hit her. I would've killed him.

"I don't think Shane is all that good as he tries to appear." I really didn't think much of that.

The pain I felt for her when she mentioned her ex was something I couldn't explain. I had an idea someone had hurt her when she flinched at the barn. Someone she loved had almost killed her. Men who hurt women are nothing more than pieces of shit.

"What?" Carol asks, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, she asked me to go. I told her I was done being an errand boy." I spit.

"And you didn't say anything? Don't do this. Please. I've already lost my girl." she pleads.

"That wasn't my problem neither."

"What about Vanessa?"

"What about her?" I grunt, caught off guard.

"Don't be play stupid. She's missing, too. Is that not your problem either?" When I don't reply, she continues, "Everyone sees how you care about her. You watch her when she's not paying attention... You have her book when you could've returned it to her tent." I feel it's weight in the pocket of my vest. When I still don't respond, she shakes her head, walking away. Good riddance.

I stalk off to find Dale. I spot him as Shane saunters away, getting into his truck to look for Lori, I'm guessing.

"Daryl?" Dale calls out to me as I approach him.

"Hey man, we need to talk about Vanessa."

"What about her?" He watches curiously.

"She left after the barn. She ain't back." I pause, I don't trust anyone in our group but, Dale is close with Vanessa, and I don't know who else to go to. He might know where she could've gone.

"Are you sure?"

"I watched her leave myself. I tried going after her." I run a hand through my hair.

"You care about her, huh?"

I don't answer. Instead, I stare him down, not denying what he's saying. It's the second time tonight someone pointed it out.

"She'll be back." He states. I notice something in his eyes. He's holding back.

"Man, if you know something, say it!" Anger finally coming to a boil.

"You're a tracker. Go find her. Bring her back... I don't think she'd be willing to come back by herself. But she trusts you." Dale is concerned, I realize. We walk over the RV together so I can retrieve my crossbow. Before leaving, he continues, "She lost a daughter, Daryl, now she shot Sophia. She ran away from us... when she's trying to run from herself."