Chapter 17: Hell No

Levi's POV

Hanji's closer to giving birth, but she gets bored whenever she's in the same spot. The books in this cabin have all been read by her. Onyankonpon was going to bring us new books for her to read. But she's been forbidden to cook any food, which allows me to use my new leg brace to stand in place. It's unstable to walk in, but at least I can stand. Lately, I've been the one cooking every meal. 

I've never seen an adult waddle the way Hanji does... she walks somewhat widely and is always in a huff. Every hour, she would complain of her back hurting, so I tuck her to bed. She gets bored instantly and tries to get up from the bed. Some good news is that it's easier for her to bathe. Before, I would always knock her out if she doesn't do it. But because she has a baby and is always bored, getting baths have been filling some sort of happiness meter.

When the baby's born... I bet Hanji would always sit in the tub with the baby and bathe with them. Hanji used to hate bathes like a cat with water. Now... she's a puppy with water. A complete change.

"Levi!" I snapped out of my mind, seeing I've been stuck on the same page of this book for minutes. Hanji waddles in front of me with her hands on her hips. "Are you ready?"

"For what?"

"A walk outside."

"The doctor said you shouldn't be walking. Just lay back down."

Hanji's arms soon crossed over each other as a scowl grew on her face. "Levi, you're not the one physically growing a child inside of you. There's nothing to do, and my legs are sore. I need to walk outside. It's too stuffy inside and... and..." She rattles on about things that are out of our control. "If you're not coming, then I'll walk alone."

"Wait, no!" 

*   *   *

"See? That wasn't too hard." Hanji cheerfully hums to herself as she waddles down the worn path. Using my leg brace and two crutches, I tried to stay by Hanji's side. That wasn't too hard if I am honest. A waddling pregnant Hanji wasn't hard to fall behind. 

I rolled my eyes, grumbling that if she starts giving birth in the middle of the forest, there was no way for me to help her get her to the cabin. Dr. Annis went into town to get extra supplies for the baby's arrival. She said she rather have it done now than later when the baby is predicted to come.

We were about to turn around in our walk when Hanji began to squat. Her hands outstretching to... something... and I saw that green color. She was busy smiling at the thing, holding it in her hands like it was a toy. It was a snake. A freaking snake.

"Aw... look at it..."

"Put it back."

"Why?"

"It's a snake. You don't know if it's poisonous."

"It's fine, it's harmless. It's a garden snake." Hanji lets the inferno thing slither around her arm. "I think this is kinda cute... can we keep it?"

"No."

Hanji sighed, walking back to the cabin. "But this snake isn't dangerous. It's good for us. They'll eat little critters and insects." 

She goes on another rant about the snake. She was already walking away from me, so I had to quickly chase after her. She's already thinking about naming the snake, Jade. Why? Because the snake was green. I don't want a snake in the house... but I can't do anything about it... Hanji's pregnant and whatever Hanji wants, Hanji gets.