Chapter 7: A Cabin For Two

Levi's POV

I woke up to banging on my door before it slammed open. "Levi, I know I said you needed sleep but- what the hell...?" Onyankonpon began to stumble backward, shutting the doors closed. "H-Hanji...? Levi... what's the meaning of this...?"

Hanji began to slither out of my grasp, sitting up to face Onyankonpon. Just by the tone of her voice, I could tell she was smiling mischievously. "I'm alive, Onyankonpon... good morning to the two of you."

"H-How...? Levi, I owe you an apology... you weren't seeing ghosts..."

*   *   *

I had to listen to her story again as she began to tell it to Onyankonpon. In the end, Onyankonpon closed his eyes and gave a small nod. "Interesting... a Marleyan hidden on this island and helping your people. Perhaps we can give him an award for bringing someone back to life-."

"Our last words were that he wished to be alone. He didn't want me to leave the person I cared about the most behind. And he wanted to continue helping in the shadows. He believes that is the only way for him, as a Marleyan, to fix the crimes of his people. And, I don't want my existence to be broadcasted everywhere. When the Eldians hear about the serum to bring people on the brink of death back to life, it'll be a civil war."

"Of course, of course."

"We do have one request, Onyankonpon," I sighed, trying to massage the pain from my leg. "I want you to get Armin to get us a cabin in the woods."

"Why don't you want to tell Armin yourself?"

"He's a terrible liar. He'll give away Hanji's secret in a heartbeat." I say as Hanji gently elbows me. "What? It's the truth. As much as he tries to keep a secret, he'll get nervous, and sooner or later, he'll expose the truth. I rather keep Hanji's existence between the three of us, Onyankonpon."

"But that still doesn't explain why you couldn't tell Armin about you wanting to live in the cabin alone."

My arms began to cross as I scowled towards him. "Oh, I don't know- maybe because I've been going insane from seeing Hanji. And he'll be willing to listen to you since you are much more clear-headed. If you could tell him that I'm recovering and I just want to live alone, he'll listen. That's why I need you."

Onyankonpon nodded his head. "Of course. I'll do just that. Commander Hanji-."

"Please don't call me that. Armin's currently the commander- there's no need for me to have that title. Just continue calling me Hanji."

He nods his head. "Of course. Hanji, have you eaten yet? I came by to fetch Levi to the dining hall since he still struggles with his injuries. I wouldn't think it's fair for him to eat when you haven't eaten yet."

"It's been a while since I've eaten something..."

"I'll bring you guys breakfast then. After that, I'll have that chat with Armin."

*   *   *

It's been a week or two since Hanji returned to me, and today was the day we would be moving into the cabin. Onyankonpon had organized a trusted doctor to check on me monthly. She would also bring me medical supplies if I needed them. Onyankonpon decided that he would occasionally bring us fresh food every week. He also said that we can try to grow our foods from the seeds from the fruits and vegetables.

Hanji and I were privately escorted to the cabin by Onyankonpon himself. He had us in a carriage, hiding us from sight. A life with Hanji... alone in the woods... isolated... the peace and quiet...

Hanji tried to convince me to even try the serum, and I kept refusing to use it. Who knows how it'll affect me...? Even if there was a chance to heal me, I wouldn't take it. Hanji refused to also take it... because she said she would rather suffer the fate of being half-blind. I don't know why she chooses that. If I saw her with both of her caramel eyes... I think that would've been a dream to come true. 

The fight for Shinganshina left us all scarred... why did Hanji refuse to heal all of her scars?

I don't care anymore...

At least we can stay in this cabin alone with each other. That's what I wanted the most.