Ash walked forward to instruct his Pokemon and left the negative thoughts behind. In the meantime, he'd need to find an excuse to justify the existence of his current team.

Sirfetch'd landed a massive hit on Dracovish, and Ash smiled at the force of the blow. Sirfetch'd was on the verge of a breakthrough, and all he needed was a good battle to push him over the edge.

—---

Ash was at dinner in the Pokemon Center. After a long day of training, he was hungry and ready for tomorrow's battle.

Clemont sat down next to Ash, across from Bonnie and Serena. Bonnie looked at Ash and got excited, "Ash, Ash! Serena bought you some awesome new clothes!"

Ash smiled at Serena, "Well, I'm glad to hear that! I'll try them on after dinner, alright?" Ash said enthusiastically.

Clemont interrupted the conversation, "So Ash, what Pokemon are you planning on using tomorrow?" Ash smiled, ready to use the excuse he had spent all day planning.

"Well guys, I was gonna mention this. My current team is super tired and needs a break to be ready for the league, so I might bring some of my Pokemon from Professor Oak, and they're all strong enough."

Clemont nodded, "Are you sure that's wise? Or does this have to deal with your recent issues with Greninja?"

Ash cursed to himself under his breath, he had forgotten about this. Ash tried a fast save, "Well, guys, Greninja has Pokerus at the moment so he's not fit to battle. This is just to make sure I qualify in time for the league."

"Pika Pika Pi Pi Pi!" Pikachu seemed livid

"Oh, but don't worry about Pikachu, he's not sick at all."

Bonnie interrupted Ash and spoke excitedly. "Oh, that sounds cool! Do you have any cute Pokemon I could see? Or maybe a Pokemon as strong as Greninja! That'd be cool!"

Serena cut her off, "Well, I think Ash would want it to be a surprise for his battle. So we just gotta wait."

Ash gave her a thankful look and she smiled back at him. Clemont adjusted his glasses and looked away. Something about this didn't feel right to him, first how he disappeared during the day and now this. It was probably nothing, but a little bit of digging would never hurt anyone. The worst that could happen would be Clemont learning more about Ash and that was a good thing.

The next day....

Ash walked in the Snowbelle Gym wearing some new clothes, a black jacket with gold stripes down the sleeves, black pants and a new gold hat. Ash felt as sharp as he looked. Serena was a blushing mess when he walked out, so he figured he must have done something right.

Wulfric accepted Ash's challenge and the battle was on.

Ash vs Wulfric for the final Kalos badge.

Ash called out his loyal starter for the lead, "Pikachu, I choose you! Let's do this!"

Wulfric pointed at his frozen arena. "Bergmite, let's go!"

A small Iceberg stared down Pikachu, neither wanting to make the first move.

Ash lost his patience and ordered first, "Pikachu use Iron Tail and Quick Attack, you know the combo!" Pikachu inserted his Iron Tail in the ice and started pulsating with Quick Attack, breaking the ice in the area and sending Bergmite towards the wall.

Wulfric looked impressed "Not bad, but try and deal with this! Bergmite, slow Pikachu down with Icy Wind!" the gym leader practically shouted out.

Ash pointed at Bergmite, "Dodge and use Thunderbolt! Pikachu struck Bergmite and the tiny Iceberg Pokemon went flying. Bergmite landed and spun around on the ice. It was clear that the small Pokemon was relying on its speed to outmaneuver Pikachu. Bergmite began sliding around on the ice, dodging any advances Pikachu tried to make.