Nothing will change between us

Virat-Rohit

"Mr Sharma, i hereby officially inform you that after many discussions Selectors and bcci have finalize that from the next One day series against South Africa, you'll work as the full time captain in the white ball format of indian cricket team along with Mr Rahul as your deputy, as we can't have 2 different captains in odi and t20. So you'll replace mr kohli as the odi captain and we also decided to give you the vice captain position in the test team in place of mr rahane!! We'll officially announce the news tonight. I wish you good luck for your new journey."

Jay Saha
Honorable Secretary of BCCI

Rohit felt colors draining from his face as he sat down with a thump, still unable to proces what he just read.

"They're making me the captain in ODI!! that means vi..... they sacked him....."

Rohit shut his eyes, unable to think more.

"No... I've to call him... this must be a silly mistake. They can't sack vi just like that.... I've to call him."

Rohit hurriedly dialed Virat's number. After 4 rings virat picked up

"Vi.........."

"Oh congratulations Captain!! You're now the full time captain of indian team in both ODI and T20 format."

Rohit froze, he never heard virat using this tone before. He tremblingly said

"Vi... but i....."

"Oh i know i know. That you never wanted to take my place but now that you don't have any other choices, you've to accept this offer of being the captain of india's white ball format. Honestly you know all of this actually means nothing Rohit and I'm tired of repeating the same thing to everyone from last few hours. So if you have something other to tell, you can otherwise i don't think I'm sitting here for free."

Virat said with sarcasm dripping from his words. Rohit felt tears rushing in his eyes as he spoke slowly

"Vi... please...."

Virat laughed bitterly.

"Don't tell me you never dreamed to get this position, Rohit!! Ask yourself and tell me if you got your answer."

Rohit tried to say something but virat already cut the call. He wanted to say him that nothing in this whole world can ever be worthy of his friendship, their friendship. But he couldn't and deep down he was sure that he wouldn't have believed him too. Rohit just sat there, silently. Unble to think or do something.

After ending the call, virat looked at their friendship album again, which he was turning ever since the selectors informed him that he won't continue as the odi captain of indian team. Virat smiled tearfully looking at all the pictures of him troubling his best friend, his Ro!! He remembered the time of his debut. When he met Ro, who was the only one of his age group. They quickly became friends. They didn't even realized how fast they became best friends, inseparable part of each other. There's nothing common between them. He was the aggressive delhi boy and Ro was the icy cool Mumbaiker. He loved to workout when the only thing ro loved other than cricket was: sleep. He was infamous as a playboy, where the media got to know about Ro and rits after their marriage. Despite of such differences, they became best friends. Brothers for life. When Mahi bhai left captaincy, he got his chance Despite of Rohit being more capable than him and deep down he knew that Ro deserved a chance too. Virat sighed. He never meant all those words he said to Ro. He knows that Ro will never think of taking over his place. He knows his Ro more than anyone in this world. But he still decided to drive him away.