CHAPTER EIGHTY FIVE

Start from the beginning

"Who is this?" The masculine voice says over the phone.

Daisy sat at the kitchen counter, her feet up on the chair with her as she held the phone to her ear. "Mmm who is this?" She questions back, lifting an eyebrow.

The guy waits a second before speaking. "Alaric Saltzman."

Daisy's mouth gapped open as she realized, she then let out a quick sigh before responding. "Right." She says. "Can you hand the phone to your girlfriend then?"

"She's—" Alaric's voice tunes out for a second as if he stepped away from the phone. "She's not feeling very good right now. I'm sorry- what'd you say your name was?" He asks, confused.

"I didn't." Daisy says, then catches the sound of vomiting in the background on the other line. "Is she okay?" She questions.

"I have to go." Alaric says, and before Daisy could pry any further- he hung up.

Daisy leans back in her chair, letting out a deep groan of annoyance. She'd spent hours trying to find a place that even still sold phonebooks, and then spent even more time trying to find Josette's name. She knew she wouldn't want to talk to her, but at least that would be some sort of entertainment.

She leaned up and started to search through the phone book for someone else to bother when the door to the garage opened- and Kai stumbled inside.

She hadn't really even realized how long it'd been since he'd been home at this time of day. It was strange seeing him in the sunlight.

She leaned back in her chair, looking at him confusedly. "Why are you here?" She asks, but the answer soon came obvious as he looked like absolute and total shit. He shut the door behind him, stumbling inside.

His eyes were deeply sunken in against his pale, sweat drenched skin. He looked like any slight breeze could topple him over.

Daisy got to her feet, any anger or resentment she felt for him right now was gone completely and replaced with the urge to care for him. It was an unexplainable draw- but it was needed, clearly.

Looking at him concernedly, she hung back to let him regain his footing. "What happened?" Daisy asks.

Kai leaned against the wall slightly, his eyelids heavy. "I'm sick." He says.

She raises her eyebrows, usually this would be a perfect time to say no shit- but given his state she knew he wouldn't be in the mood for jokes. "You probably need to go see a doctor." Daisy suggests.

"Are you feeling okay?" Kai asks, forcing himself to lean up off the wall.

Daisy shakes her head slightly. "What- yes I'm fine?" She says. Kai takes a deep breath, rubbing his eyes. It looked like every movement he made hurt- and it was hard to sit and watch.

She quickly walked over to him, holding her arms out for him to latch onto for support. When he touched her, he looked up at her with soft, apologetic eyes as he studied every inch of her face. There was a tinge of regret, or guilt- but the longer he looked at her the less he became readable.

Daisy fell confused as he examined her, but accepted this as some sort of gratitude of thanks despite his attitude lately. She helped him along to the couch that was nearest them. He clung to her arms for support as he sat down, then let go with a deep exhale.