october 20, 2022

Dean doesn't know how to react after reading the last letter. He feels a surge of emotions, mixed emotions. He doesn't if he should feel happy, sad, or regret his marriage — he knows he shouldn't.

The handwriting is the same. Sure, the stroke of the latest one is more mature, more careful, but he knows it's her. It's Italia. Which is crazy because she's dead!

But then, her body is never found.

Careful to not wake up her wife — damn, his wife is sleeping beside him. Why is he thinking of another woman? A woman he should've forgotten already? Dean carefully leaves the room, going straight to their greenhouse.

Dean goes straight to the bench, the only thing that can be found inside. This greenhouse is Italia's idea. She loves plants. And now that she's not here, no one will be able to take care of plants. Dean's busy at the hospital. Jean doesn't like plants.

He takes out his phone. After a lot of thinking, he dials Kayla — the only family of Italia he has contact of.

"Hey," Kayla answers. She's still awake. Typical of her.

Dean tries to speak, but he doesn't know how to begin. He stays silent, the only sound coming from him is his breath.

Then, Kayla speaks. "You received it." 

"You knew?"

"Just last week. On your wedding day," Kayla sighs. "I'm sorry for not making it, by the way."

Dean closes his eyes, confused. "She's. . . Alive?"

"Yes."

Dean stays silent. Does he want to see her? But what will he tell his wife? That he will visit his dead ex-girlfriend, who is not actually dead and that he still loves? This is fucked up.

"You want to see her?" Kayla asks. "I understand if not. You just got married. I'll just explain it to Italia. She doesn't know it yet."

Still, Dean doesn't say anything.

"If you want to see her, you can meet me at my house. I'm heading at hers tomorrow."

The call ends. Dean lets out a sigh.

. . .

Dean doesn't know what he's doing. He's not supposed to be lying to her wife the second week of their marriage. In fact, he should've stayed home and not lies about being needed in the hospital today.

"I packed you lunch," Jean says, smiling. Then she pouts. "It sucks that you have to work today, but it's your duty. I'll wait for you home, okay?"

Dean smiles. He doesn't know what to say. He's guilty — but not guilty enough to not go through with it.

He stays for breakfast. After that, he kisses Jean goodbye. He ignores her subtle hints of wanting him to just stay with her as he walks away.

He does love Jean. But not enough for him to ignore his anticipation so Italia again.

. . .

"You came," Kayla says, amused.

He simply nods then enter her car. They agreed earlier that he'll ride with Kyla.

"This will be my second time visiting her since I found out," Kayla says. Dean just listens. "A lot changed. I can provide you information but it'll be better if she's the one who'll provide you."

"How did she survive?" His voice comes out low and delicate.

Kayla shrugs. "Bulletproof vest, that's what uncle said," she answers. "And my cousin has a strong will of surviving." She glances at him, as if telling that he's the reason behind it.