The Finite Nature

Start from the beginning

"Are you alright?" Tasha asked from a few metres away.

She was standing next to a small ash tree.

Data recognised the species from the arboretum. They had nearly been wiped out by ash dieback centuries earlier.

The abbey ruins had likely seen thousands of trees come and go during their existence.

Data's oral cavity suddenly felt uncomfortably dry.

His gaze shifted from the tree to the wall and back again.

"I would like to return to the historical district now," Data said.

"Sure," Tasha replied.

They climbed back onto the shuttle.

Data took one final look at the ruins as they rode away.

"Penny for your thoughts," Tasha said as she watched him.

Data turned back and cocked his head to the side.

Even though Tasha was sitting next to him, the abbey had left him feeling lonely. It certainly wasn't the first time Data had reflected on his own existence and just how lengthy it would be.

He knew that he would outlive his friends.

He knew that he would outlive Tasha.

But to see it contrasted in such a harsh light had been a painful reminder of his immortality.

Tasha was an ash tree.

In time, just like a tree, she would change from a vibrant sapling to maturity before growing old and eventually dying.

And just like the ruins of the abbey, Data would be there to witness it as part of the lonely watch of an immortal being.

The bitter cycle of life.

"Hey," Tasha said as she tugged on his hand. "Let's stop at that candy shoppe before we get back on the train, eh?"

She had a mischievous sparkle in her eye like she was up to something.

"For the kids, please," she explained with a brilliant smile.

As Data stared at her, he couldn't help but feel fortunate enough that in the grand scheme of his long and lonely existence, she was a tree that happened to be growing in his courtyard.

--------

Hopping off the shuttle, Data spied the main office from the Department of Historic and Environment Preservation.

"Go on," Tasha encouraged as she caught what he was fixated on.

While Tasha stepped in the shoppe to pick up some treats for the children, Data slipped into the office and decided to poke around.

The office provided a number of services including local tours and educational opportunities for the avid enthusiast. There were maps available for purchase and several displays showcasing local archaeological finds.

There was a computer viewscreen on the wall that caught Data's attention.

It was a list of places. At the top of the list was the term "Scheduled Monuments." A few seconds later, the screen changed to display a similar list of places under the title of "Grade I" before changing to a list entitled "Grade II."

Must be a tour schedule. Data theorised.

"Anything I can help you with?" the man behind the reception desk offered.

"I only wish I had more time," Data said as he indicated to the list on the screen. "It would seem your tours are extensive. Are all of these locations included in one tour?"