Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

lost

verb ~ to be deprived of, or cease to have

PHOENIX

I collapsed into a heap on the ground, my wolf drained of his energy. I shifted back almost unwillingly, my head falling to the earth. As soon as I scented the witch on Nova's hair tie, I lost all control of him. I felt unchained, unleashed, and only came back down to earth when my wolf gave up with exhaustion.

I couldn't find her scent. I had been running and searching the entire mountain for two days. I couldn't feel the bond at all but I knew she was alive. Her wolf just lay dormant. It only angered me further.

If they had so much as poisoned her again...

I shook my head, the small flakes of snow that started to fall dampened my skin.

I couldn't think about it too much. If I fell into that dark pit of remorse again, I was afraid I would not come back out.

I was starving, but I couldn't eat. I haven't slept in three days either.

I stood to my feet and swayed, my head pounding with too much stress. When you get so close, so intimate to losing control, it only takes the slightest misstep to not come back.

I sighed, blinking up at the dark sky. I was searching, I was trying. I didn't know what to do. I was exhausted. My heart ached, a cavity in my chest, a space I could not fill. I felt numb now, my mind succumbing to its lack of energy. My wolf tired, my mate gone... I felt alone.

"Alpha?"

My head spun to the sound of the voice, and I found Charlie standing timidly with a checked blanket in his hands. I blinked at him, taking in his tired and pale face. He was worried too, I could feel it. We were close, thick as thieves, and now we were both lost.

He licked his lips, nervously meeting my calmer eyes. "Phoenix?"

I inhaled deeply, realising he was afraid. It has been years since I wolfed out. Charlie was my best friend and rock through those times. We both struggled on our parent's anniversaries, and we both pulled each other through. The day he found me; I had only just become human again. A whole week of losing my mind, until he stumbled through my border.

I blinked, nodding my head. Making my way over to him, I noticed the slight sag of his shoulders. He was relieved.

"I didn't think you'd come back." He muttered.

Instead of taking the blanket from his hand, I wrapped my arm around his shoulder, pulling him into an embrace. He stiffened but his arm raised to pat me on the back in return. I sighed, pulling away as the ache in my chest grew stronger.

"Find anything?" He wondered.

I shook my head, wrapping the blanket around me. "Nothing."

He sighed sadly, before gesturing for me to walk with him. I looked around as we approached a strange building. This whole place was old fashioned, with tall concrete walls and buildings and a small, enclosed plaza. As we made our way through the open space, I noticed the slight cracks in curtains and blinds as we passed by village homes. Walking up a dirt trail, we came to a castle-like house at the top of the hill. Snow was falling gently, the chill in the air seemed to bite harder into my bones. I hoped Nova was nowhere near here; that she was somewhere warm.

Charlie led me to a side door which I had to duck under to get through. Inside though the ceilings were tall, so I was thankful I would not have to spend my time crouched.

"Whose home is this?" I mumbled.

"The Cyrus's."

I hummed, taking in the old-fashioned décor as he took me up some stairs. The carpet was a deep red, warm despite the cold looking walls. Standing upon the landing, I tensed as her scent hit me. Without saying anything further, I moved around Charlie and followed it. I came to a stop outside a wooden door on the first floor and hesitated.