The Girl Next Door Part 2-Steve Harrington

Start from the beginning

"What if it's not that simple?" I said under my breath.

* * * * *

As we warmed up, people came into the gym and sat in the stands. I looked up, a weird feeling engulfing me when I saw Y/N walking in. I followed her with my eyes as she found a seat on the edge of the bleachers.

My breath got stuck on my throat when she looked right at me. I smiled and waved. My stomach felt weird as she waved back, her face burning from her blush.

Throughout the first half, I couldn't stop myself from continuing to look at her. Every time I did, she'd blush and look away. I jumped when the ref blew the whistle for halftime. I looked up at Y/N to see her smiling. She was laughing at my jump.

I sent her a shrug and was about to head to the locker room when a group of kids walked over to Y/N. I watched, an odd feeling as they sat next to her. The entire time they talked to her, Y/N was playing with her hands.

"Harrington!" My coach yelled, forcing me to tare my eyes away from Y/N.

"Coming," I said.

I quickly glanced back at Y/N before following the rest of my team. I didn't pay attention to my coach's halftime pep talk. I was itching to go out and check on Y/N. Something about the group bothered me.

Why were they familiar?

And why didn't I like them talking to Y/N?

We left the locker room and as soon as I walked into the gym, I looked for Y/N. When I found her, she somehow seemed smaller. I looked at the kids around her, my anger building when I recognized who they were.

Freshman year. The kids who were bullying her.

Throughout the rest of the game, my focus was on Y/N surrounded by her bullies. I knew that the only reason she was here was because I had invited her to the game yesterday when I took her home. Which means the only reason she is surrounded by her bullies is because of me.

At the end of the game, I ran to the locker room and quickly changed. When I jogged back into the gym, it was empty. I ran my fingers through my hair as I tried to think of where she could be. I walked through the school, heading towards the parking lot.

I walked outside and my breath got stuck in my throat when I heard people laughing. I looked over, letting out a sigh of relief as my eyes landed on Y/N. That relief turned to anger when I saw she was surrounded by her bullies.

I didn't hear what they were saying and I didn't care. I started walking over to them but quickly started running when Andrew grabbed Y/N's shoulder.

"Hey!" I yelled, ripping his hand off of her and slightly pushing him back. I stepped in front of Y/N and gently grabbed her hand, pulling her behind me.

"What the hell is your problem?" I asked through my teeth.

"My problem?" Andrew scoffed. "You're the one who ran over here, yelling like a crazy person."

His friends laughed but my expression didn't change.

"Seriously, Harrington," Andrew sighed. "Chill. We were just. . ."

"Just what?" I harshly cut him off. "You grabbed her."

"Whoa," he laughed. "Take it easy."

"No," I said, trying and failing to hold my anger back. 

"Steve," Y/N whispered from behind me.

"She speaks!" Luke, Andrew's right-hand idiot laughed. I could feel Y/N tuck more behind me. I squeezed her hand, trying to reassure her that it was going to be okay.