Metropolis, Operation Big Wave!

"Infinite can create virtual reality projections. They have mass and form, but no heart and soul." Shadow explains.

"Virtual reality? So all those familiar faces that were a part of Eggman's army..."Sonic trailed off.

Shadow nods." Replicas. The problem is, they may not be real, but their powers are as formidable as the originals. According to Rouge, Infinite can create unlimited numbers of them."

" So, fight after fight, he can just keep cranking up counterfeits?" Sonic says.

"Exactly. As it stands, there's no way we can win this." Shadow replies.

"Of course we can win this! We always do! We just..... haven't figured that part out, yet." Sonic says hesitantly. There's a small silence between the two hedgehogs until a groan catches their attention.

Sonic looks down to see you waking up. You groan again and hold your head.

" What happened?" you mumble.

" You took a blow to the head. The fight with that duplicate knocked you out." Sonic explains.

"It was a duplicate?" you asked confused. You then notice the same black and red hedgehog beside Sonic. You look between the pair of them in confusion and Shadow, seemingly annoyed, has to explain to you all over again.

(Time Skip)

You and the rest of the resistance were chatting between yourselves waiting for Knuckles to arrive. You were currently on a bed getting a bit of rest. Tails had checked you over when you returned to the base and said, to your relief, that there were no injuries and that you just needed some rest. Sonic had been by your side the entire time and was currently still sitting on a chair next to you. You were starting to ponder why the blue hedgehog was so worried about your well-being.

'It doesn't mean anything..... does it? I mean wouldn't he do this with all his friends?'

'Is he really that protective of me?'

The thought of Sonic wanting to protect you made the blood rush to your cheeks. Sonic, turning in time to see this, raised a brow at you.

"You look like your heating up. Do you want an ice pack or something?" he said, oblivious to the fact you were blushing. You shook your head in embarrassment.

"You sure?"

You nodded. Sonic just shrugged and turned back to the resistance.

'There he goes again being all caring and protective.'

You shook the thoughts out off your head. Sonic was a friend and nothing more. It didn't mean anything. Besides, he's a hero this is what he does.

You pushed the thoughts to the back of your head and was talking with Amy until Knuckles walked in.

"Listen up! We just got word that Eggman's forces are undermanned at his headquarters in Metropolis!" he said.

"They're probably staging somewhere else as part of Eggman's plan. This could be our only chance to take the city." Espio says.

"Exactly! That's why we're focusing on a full frontal assault on Metropolis! I'm calling it, "Operation Big Wave"!" he replied. You shook your head and Sonic facepalmed.

" Who cares what it's called? What's important is to have a well thought out strategy." Silver replies.

"I thought up this strategy in about a minute and a half." Knuckles says proudly. You all just stare at him.

"We're going in hard and fast and we're not going to stop till Eggman's army's destroyed. We've got the strength and the spirit to win. There's no finer group that I'd want to fight with." Knuckles continues.

"Ha! Great speech! Let's give Eggman an old-fashioned beat down!" Vector exclaims. For once, you agree with him.

"They have more in sheer numbers, so the idea of a quick, focused attack isn't bad. We also have Sonic-- I mean, the other Sonic-- so I have no doubt we can do this! Also, if we can destroy the Phantom Ruby, we should be able to send the other Sonic home! At least I hope so... this is all new territory for me..." Tails says.

" Okay, let's head straight for Eggman's HQ! Time to save the world, people!"

(Time skip)

You run through metropolis at top speed. (Yes, you recovered quickly.) You jump off a spring to then see Infinite fly up beside you. You stare at him in fear and he flies ahead, the ruby on his chest glowing. Everything suddenly turns upside down. And the ground is now the ceiling.

"Stay calm! Everything your seeing is not real!" Knuckles says. You take a deep breath and carry on forward.

Infinite appears again, changing everything around and now making the side of the building the ground. You run across, taking no notice of the jackal as you jump over missiles.

"We can't go on like this! 80% of our forces have been wiped out!" Amy informs.

"Run for it!" Charmy says.

"Grr. Operation Big Wave has been washed out." Knuckles says.

You complete the level and carry on running, not noticing a certain jackal watching you in the distance.