"No regret, no remorse"

Start from the beginning

He knew! He knew by primal instinct, that Amarin was an evenly matched opponent. Oh Theos! Frightened I nodded, pacing noiseless to the back of the room, near the door, like Gaisgeil wanted. But...I couldn't leave...I simply couldn't leave him to his destiny. And Amarin? I didn't want him to die either. But this was a hopeless situation. One of them would not leave this room alive.

Gaisgeil and Amarin stood stil. They both estimated each other, Gaisgeil with a provoking smirk on his lips. My destined was surely a master of intimidation, but I had seen Amarin's hybrid form. I would never forget his teeth. Teeth, that he wanted to sink into my destined. My knees nearly buckled under my weight by a sudden nausea.

I crept to the door, my hand on the handle. ...... Suddenly, I knew, what I had to do. 

In a rush motion I tore the door open. „Help, help, intruders in the castle, please, help", I shouted as loud as I could, my lungs rebelling against this vocal abuse. „Guards, Aodhan, anybody, come, please." 

I turned around, watching the scene unfold in front of me. Amarin transformed into his menacing hybrid. His jaws revealing his deadly teeth. He tilted his head slightly, a smile on his face. 

"SURPRISE!", he called out, like this was a happy gathering to celebrate someone's birthday

I stiffened at the door. Amarin was out to kill, his message clear as day. Even though my mind screamed "Go, stupid, save your life", my heart countered "Save your destined, save also Amarin". But what was I to do other than wait for help?

„Not so tough and big-mouthed anymore, huh?", Amarin mocked Gaisgeils with his own words. I watched my destined's reaction, but to my surprise he kept calm and composed, which irked Amarin to no end. The smile on his face faded. 

"Let us end it here and now. You are the plague of Desa, cruel and unfeeling, you are a breed that isn't worth to lead the land." Again, my destined suprised us both. He watched his enemy undisturbed but didn't make a move to attack. 

Amarin's eyebrows furrowed, his lips in a thin line. "And you are not worthy to be Callida's destined. I would be so much better." We both saw Gaisgeils reaction to this: He fisted his hands until his nuckles turned white, a low growl rasonanted. 

Amarin smirked satisfied. "So, the beast has a heart...", he chuckled. His face turned alarmed suddenly. I wondered why, until I heard it too: thundering steps coming our way. Oh Theos, at last!

Gaisgeil's head bent slightly to the right, his eyes meeting mine. When I recognized the resolve in them, my eyes widened. 

Amarin glanced my way, his face a mask of urgency. "Callida, please come with me, we will meet with the resitance. We will fight and we will win. He can't hurt you there. One day we will strike back and..." 

The next thing I grasped was the gurgling blood, that sprayed out of Amarin's mouth. His astonished face ... the unbelief. His eyes blinked a few times rapidly ... than faltered. His hand went out to me. "Callida", he whispered, regret the last emotion in his eyes, before he fell. 

I woke up of my stupor. Rushing by his side I saw the damage: his throat was being cut. Desperately, Amarin took his last painful breaths, than stilled. Even in death his aquamarin beautiful eyes showcased his unbelief. I knelt beside his dead body. 

Gaisgeil! How...did he do it? He was so fast, my human eyes and brain couldn't understand...How did he kill him?

Hesitantly I got up, my shocked eyes searching my destined. There he stood, in the middle of the room  with crossed arms, as if nothing happened, his face blank and emotionless. No regret, no remorse, no...nothing.

As I eyed him, I realized the dagger he held in one fist. He saw where my stare was glued.

"I told you, Callida, nobody takes what is mine", his voice stated calmly

If you forgot - Theos is the Greek word for God. This chapter was a bit gruesome, I know. There won't be much of it in the coming chapters. Amarin is dead, but there will be more enemies... If you liked what you read, please press the star. Danke, obrigada, ευχαριστώ, merci, grazie!  You'll make me very happy.