26 / carnival of light

George was a bit wrapped up in his conflict with Paul the first few days we hung out with each other, but we've been having a blast together after some loosening up. 

He took me all sorts of places--museums, parks, the aquarium, a couple fancy restaurants--all the places Paul would never have taken me because he was afraid of what the media would say about it.

George, however, was the opposite. He wanted to fight all of the press and the publicity, and tell them to "mind their business" and "let us live our lives". He even asked me, "Why should they need to know so much about you, just because they've seen ya with a Beatle or two?"

Perhaps the most exciting event during our little "stay at home" vacation was when George, Ringo, John and I went to the county fair.

We arrived at around five PM on a hot Friday evening, waiting for it to cool off a little. The sounds of children screaming of enjoyment and music filled my ears, and my mouth watered at the scent of funnel cake.

Going to the fair was on my mind all day. And apparently, Sam and Paul have been spending time with each other--that day, she couldn't shut up about how excited she was for him to return from Italy. 

It made me feel uneasy, knowing that Sam's plan probably involved manipulating Paul in some shape or form. It made me feel uneasy to know that Paul may have not cared about how it would have affected me.

And maybe that's why I've only received two, short-lived calls over his entire vacation.  He may have chatted with Sam for hours. He may have even started liking Sam.

But I wanted to try to swipe those thoughts about Paul being with another girl out of my head; whether it be with Sam, Jane, whoever. He was the one who told me that I should relax, and that was exactly what I was going to keep doing.

When Ringo, John, George and I decided to enter, George kept me close by his side. He bought me my tickets, and basically stuck by me for most of the night.

Except at one point, George and Ringo ran off to the duck pond game together. While they went away, John came up to me and whispered, "Ey, Bri? May I talk to you for a second, please?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. What's up?" I asked, his golden eyes glowing from the setting sun.

"Come with me, dear," he ordered, taking my arm.

We sat down at a picnic table on the side that nearly leaned against the fence. 

John folded his hands and sighed. "I know talking about such a matter here is a bit awkward, but I just wanted to have this discussion before it's too late."

"Oh, um, what is it?" I asked, glancing around. 

"Well, as you know, George and Paul have really been a mess lately," he began. "And really? All of these fallouts, the bickering, the dirty looks? It hasn't happened at all until you came. It's about you. Rings and I just want to put this rubbish to a stop once and for all. "

My heart sank from hearing John's words. Was he trying to get me to be sent back home?

I frowned slightly, rubbing my finger against the nail on the wooden table. "So...do you want me to do something about it, or..."

John pursed his lips and looked down for a few moments. "Bri, do you still have feelings for George?"

"I guess you could say that," I muttered, hearing the shame in my voice. "But I do very much have feelings for Paul as well."

"Alright, well, let me give you a bit of my input on this whole situation," John stated. "I've noticed how ye are with George, and I've noticed how ye are with Paul, and vice versa. I think you and George were made for each other. You and Paul? Not so much. Paul thinks he's in love with ya. I mean, he might be, but just in a very...strange way."