⠀⠀⠀𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊. against the clock

Start from the beginning

RICK RETURNED TO the farm with Hershel and Glenn the morning after they left. In the backseat of their car was a kid named Randall, who had been left behind by his crew after the shoot out turned to be more than they could handle. Randall had tried to jump from the roof of a building and ended up with a pole shot straight through his leg.

⠀⠀⠀Rick decided to risk the lives of Glenn and Hershel in an attempt to save him. They got his leg off the pole and dumped him in the barn, where Hershel worked on his legs for hours on end. Once Randall was fixed up, Rick and Shane took him eighteen miles out to dump him. So, rather than move on, they decided to save his life, only to leave him for dead again.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca sat with the others, numb to everything happening. It didn't hardly cross her radar as she was still pinned to the day before with Sophia. Her limbs felt like the static on a TV, and her eyes were glossy as all she could do was worry that Cal was dead out there like Sophia.

⠀⠀⠀Daryl's return from the barn caught Bianca's attention. His knuckles were bloody, and his crossbow was strung over his shoulder as he stopped at the head of the group.

⠀⠀⠀"Boy there's got a gang, thirty men. They have heavy artillery, and they ain't lookin' to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead and our women, they're gonna wish they were."

⠀⠀⠀Carol gave him a pitiful gaze, frowning, as she asked, "What did you do?"

⠀⠀⠀"Had a little chat," Daryl answered her, moving away from the spotlight.

⠀⠀⠀"No one goes near this guy," Rick called to the rest of them sternly.

⠀⠀⠀"Rick," Lori called softly, stepping in front of her husband. "What are you gonna do?"

⠀⠀⠀"We have no choice. He's a threat," Rick said, then turned to the rest of them. "We have to eliminate the threat."

⠀⠀⠀"You're just gonna kill him?" Dale asked, shocked by the sudden turn.

⠀⠀⠀"It's settled," Rick told them. "I'll do it today."

AFTER A DAY of mulling over Rick's statement, they had settled to vote. Dale had made his rounds, begging for the others to take his side. He had come to her and Daryl, but she was still near catatonic. Hardly listening as she lay in the grass staring at the clear sky. Dale had quickly taken her silence as her not agreeing with him and tried for Daryl, who was much more talkative.

⠀⠀⠀As the day rolled by, they were set up in the living room of Hershel's home to say yay or nay on Randall's life. The group argued hard on the topic for an hour, but it was clear that the vote heavily weighed on Rick's side.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca had barely listened, her eyes focused on the knots in the wood flooring. She couldn't process what they were saying even when Dale tried to speak directly to her. He saw it as chickening out, but Bianca could hardly talk without breaking down. Her lips felt like a dam about to release a reservoir of pent-up emotions she had yet to allow herself to feel since the beginning.