⠀⠀⠀𝒙𝒊𝒗. between a rock and a hard place

Start from the beginning

WITH EVERYONE ON the mend and a quiet place to rest, Rick and Shane thought it was high time everyone learned how to use a gun properly. Even if they couldn't have them on the farm, there was never sure-knowledge that this was their place to stay forever or that they were safe. It was better to remain prepared than think nothing would get them.

⠀⠀⠀Since they weren't allowed weapons on the farm, Bianca rode with Carol and T-Dog out toward a clearing a few miles east. They were far enough from the property that Hershel couldn't be bothered that they were shooting cans off posts.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca had never wielded a gun before then. All she had was her sledgehammer to fend against the walkers, and it seemed to show. Her stance was tense when she first began, which Rick corrected. The gun felt heavy in her hand despite being used to her sledgehammer, and her aim wavered as she tried to hold it steady. She would aim, shoot and miss the can by a mile.

⠀⠀⠀Everyone else seemed to be doing okay. They hit the post or nicked the side of the can. Even Carl was doing better than her, and he was only ten years old. Bianca watched as Carl grazed the side of the can, and he gave himself a little fist pump. She turned to him and pulled the cotton ball out of her ear Hershel gave to keep her from further damage.

⠀⠀⠀"How are you so good at this?" Bianca asked accusingly, wondering if maybe he had been trained by his dad before the outbreak.

⠀⠀⠀"I just aim and shoot," Carl explained, keeping his gun pointed straight ahead of him as he smirked in response.

⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, that sounds like a load of bull," Bianca retorted, rolling her eyes. "I think you're lyin' and practiced before so you could show off."

⠀⠀⠀"Do Nerf guns count?" Carl asked innocently as he looked up from his aim and grinned at her.

⠀⠀⠀"Must be it," Bianca said definitively, nodding her head sharply. "I never played with those."

⠀⠀⠀"Just played with dolls and ponies?" Carl snarked back at her.

⠀⠀⠀"Oh, yeah, I played with Barbie and Ken in their Dreamhouse as they kissed and had tea parties together," Bianca claimed sarcastically.

⠀⠀⠀"Alright, fine," Carl relented, putting the safety on his gun and lowering it to his side. He turned to her, shrugging his shoulders, and raised his brows. "What did you play with?"

⠀⠀⠀"My Gameboy Color, Pokémon Red, or if I wasn't allowed to play with that..." Bianca explained, trailing off as she looked away. "My knock-off Barbie's, Betty and Bob."

⠀⠀⠀Carl stared at her in annoyance, then rolled his eyes dramatically as he groaned. Rick appeared behind them with a small smile as he looked between the two.

⠀⠀⠀"Doin' okay?" he asked, hiding the laughter behind his words.

⠀⠀⠀"No, your son is managing to shoot better than me, and he's a child," Bianca explained with a frown, pointing her thumb back at him. "I think getting shot gave him superpowers and now has increased shooting abilities."

⠀⠀⠀Rick chuckled in response to that. He looked from her then down to his son, who nodded in agreement, believing he, too, received superpowers.

⠀⠀⠀"Try shooting again, and I'll tell you what you're doing wrong," Rick directed Bianca, jutting his chin toward.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca nodded, stuffing her ear, and raised her gun. She pulled the trigger, stumbling with the kickback, and her hand felt numb from the reverb.

⠀⠀⠀Rick set his hands on her shoulders, stopping her from falling over, and repositioned her. Bianca pulled the cotton ball from her ear as Rick explained where she went wrong.