Chapter thirteen

Sophia

I convinced him to take me to target. I didn't actually need anything, but it's target. I'll leave with something.

The day I hate most is coming up and fast. My birthday is in five days. This Friday. Meaning I have school.

Good thing is I already slipped the guy who makes the announcements every morning a twenty to skip my name when saying the birthdays of that day.

I choose to not celebrate my birthday. It doesn't hold any bad memories or anything. No, my parents never favored James over me. In fact, if you looked at it, you'd think I was the favorite. I just always chose not to.

I always let James have a party with his friends and I'd stay in my room the whole time. Once again, my choice.

"Let me run an idea by you." He said as we walked into target. I hummed for him to continue. "I know your birthday is Friday." I nodded at him not feeling like talking about it. "I also know that your brother is spending the day with his girlfriend, so I had an idea." He made me stop walking and turned me to face him. He looked down at me and I started smiling looking in his eyes. "I see dresses here, so why don't I get you one for our date that I plan on taking you on Friday if you want to." He said, clearly feeling shy.

I smiled up at him as he looked away, blushing. I gripped his jaw and turned his head to face mine so he would look at me. "I would love to go with you. As long as it's not a birthday dinner."  I said, pretending to be serious. I was serious but I wasn't as serious as I pretended to be.

"Of course." He said, kissing my head. We started walking to the escalator.

Target still had dresses out from homecoming even though that was multiple months ago. I walked over and found a short red dress that had a slit in the leg. He took it from me before I could pay for it and bought it instead.

"This is your not birthday birthday gift." He said handing me the bag.

"I told you I didn't want material things." I said looking at him.

"Trust me, I know what you want." He said smirking.

"Perv" I said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and we walked out.

~~~

Those four days went by too fast. It's Thursday now, meaning my birthday is tomorrow. It won't be too awful because Zach promised to make it the least birthday-like birthday ever.

"I'm telling you this today because I know you hate it," Anna said as we walked into school for the day "happy birthday best friend!" She said hugging me. She's always done this. She'll tell me happy birthday the day before my birthday because she knows I hate the day.

"Thank you Anna." I said hugging her back. "So I heard that you and my brother will be together tomorrow." I said, slightly teasing her.

"Where'd you hear that?" She asked blushing hardcore.

"Oh through the grape vine. Got any plans with him that you can tell me about without me vomiting?" I asked, fake gaging.

"Yeah we're um- we're going to that restaurant that you said he loves and then we're going back to your house." She said stuttering.

"Cute. Just make sure I don't get a James or Anna jr. running around. One of y'all is enough." I said, opening my locker.

"Whatever. So, how about you? I heard you and Zach were spending the day together." She said, now teasing me.

"Where'd you hear that?" I asked, basically redoing our conversation from a second ago.

"Oh through the grape vine. So?" She said, mocking me.

"He um- he bought me a dress the other day," I started, now being the one stuttering. "We're going out somewhere that he is refusing to tell me and then we're um- we're going back to his place to just hang out." I said, now blushing worse than she was. I hate the way he makes me blush when I talk about him but I love the way I feel when I talk about him.

"Uh-huh. And um what exactly do you plan on doing at his house?" She asked, hinting at something.

"Not what you and my brother plan on doing, that's for sure." I said, grabbing my books.

She looked at me disappointed. "Come on! You've been together for months." She said, shaking my arm.

"Anna I want us to be together for a while before that. I mean we've only been together for two months." I said grabbing her hand.

"You're dying aren't you?" She said while we walked to her locker.

"Yes!" I said rolling my eyes. "I mean we've been together for two months! He's done it with girls he's known for two minutes! What if he just doesn't want to with me? What if he thinks I'm a prude?" I said boarder line freaking out.

"Or what if he is waiting longer with you because he really loves you? What if he just cares more about you than he did every other girl?" She said, calming me down.

"But nothing? I mean we've barely kissed for more than five minutes." I said, leaning against the lockers next to hers.

"Sophia, he probably knows you haven't done anything before so he's probably trying to take it slow with you." She said, putting books away.

I don't want him to go slow. I want him to tell me he loves me. I want him to want to do things with me. I want to do things! Just because I'm inexperienced doesn't mean I never want to do anything!

"Well even if we don't go all the way, I'd appreciate a hickey every now and then." I said standing up straight. "I want to know what it's like to cover it and freak out about my dad seeing it even though he wouldn't care."

"Well why don't you just tell him that? Like tomorrow?" She said, closing her locker.

She's right. Communication is key, especially with something like this.

"You're right. I'll talk to him tomorrow at the dinner." I said. Walking with her.

Tomorrow.

~~~

Thank you so much for reading chapter 13 of "Sophia"!

I feel like it's getting better but it could not be lmao.

See you guys next chapter! Love y'all!

<3