Chapter 1: New arrivals

Start from the beginning

Amelia smiled at her innocence, "How can I help you?"

The little girl seemed to shrink slightly, "I've lost my brother, and I don't know the way back to my room. Can you help me?"

Amelia realised that the dark-haired boy must've been her older brother. Amelia cringed slightly at that thought. She hoped his sister was not like him, "I was actually just about to bring some tea over to introduce myself. I'll take you along once the pot has boiled."

The little girl's face suddenly broke into a smile. She hopped her way over to one of the benches by the wooden table before plopping down and watching as Amelia hustled about the room.

"How long have you been here?" she asked curiously.

Amelia sighed longingly, "Six months and counting."

The little girl gasped, "What! That's so long!"

"Yeah," Amelia responded, "But at least you lot are here now, maybe it won't be so boring anymore."

The girl giggled, "I'm Lucy, Lucy Pevensie."

Amelia smiled at her, "Amelia Cromwell."

The kettle interrupted their conversation with its whistle. Amelia quickly turned the stove off before pouring the hot water into a teapot and placing it on the tray.

"Let's be on our way then," Amelia said. The grabbed the tray and exited the kitchen, Lucy following close behind.

As they walked through the maze of corridors, Lucy spurred up a conversation.

"I think you'll like my brother, Peter. He's really friendly." Amelia almost choked as she said this, I think I've already met your brother Lucy, and I don't think I like him.

"Is that so?" Amelia responded.

"Yeah! My sister is okay too, although she likes to think she's smarter than everyone else."

Amelia giggled, "Well, I look forward to meeting them."

In no time at all they reached the door to Lucy and her sister's room. Amelia could hear the old radio through the door as it gave the daily war update.

Amelia tentatively knocked on the door.

"Come in," she heard a voice echo. Amelia opened the door and was greeted by the sound of the sombre voice on the radio.

"German aircraft carried out a number of attacks on Great Britain last night. The raids, which lasted for several hours-"

The eldest girl, a dark-haired beauty, had quickly turned the radio off before coming to the door where Amelia stood, tray still in hand.

"Lucy! There you are! We were about to send Edmund to get you." She exclaimed once her eyes lay on the little girl at Amelia's side.

Lucy's smiled at her, "Sorry I took so long, I got lost, but Amelia brought me back. She made tea too!" Lucy quickly took the tray from Amelia before setting off on pouring herself a cup.

The eldest girl sent Amelia a small smile, " I'm Susan Pevensie, this is Peter," to Amelia's surprise, she didn't point towards the boy she had met moments ago, but to an older blond boy sitting by the window in the corner, "Edmund" Amelia spotted the dark-haired boy from before sitting on one of the beds, a scowl firmly sketched on his face. He sent Amelia a small glare before turning his back to her. "and you already know Lucy."

The little Pevensie had gotten into her bed with her cup of tea and was shuffling around while her face scrunched up in irritation. "The sheets feel scratchy," Lucy said, touching them with her hand. Amelia nodded grimly as she, Peter and Susan went to sit next to her.

"Yeah, they're a bit old I'm afraid. Mrs. Macready will most likely go buy some new sheets tomorrow." Amelia then saw that the sheets weren't actually what was bothering the little girl. Lucy sat with a grim face and sad brown eyes that made Amelia's heart melt. Perhaps the gravity of the situation was finally settling in her mind. Perhaps she realised that this was going to be her life for a while. She was going to live in a stranger's home with only her three siblings and a stranger to keep her company. Amelia sighed sadly "Wars don't last forever, Lucy," the little Pevensie looked up at her with innocent eyes.

"We'll be home soon," Susan continued. The two girls offered Lucy a comforting smile, rubbing small circles into her hands. Amelia felt a string tugging on her heart as she stared at the little girl. She knew the feeling of uncertainty during war times, but Lucy was only a young girl – too young to be worrying about dying soldiers, shrapnel, bombs, and dictators.

"Yeah, if home's still there," Edmund scoffed from the other side of the room. Amelia spun around and faced him, shocked. She could feel the frown creasing her own forehead as her eyes grew wide. His words had cut through the comfort they were given Lucy like how a saw cuts through wood. Amelia immediately felt the tension in the air as it rose.

"Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan asked, her voice toned with annoyance.

"Yes, mum," Edmund replied in a sharp tone, his eyes staring defiantly at his sister.

"Ed!" Peter retorted loudly before facing Lucy, the once annoyed look melted into a comforting smile, "We'll be fine, don't worry Lu."

"That's right," Amelia said, smiling at Lucy, "This place is huge. We can do whatever we want here. You'll love it when tomorrow comes. We'll go outside, maybe pick some apples from the orchard. You'd like that, won't you?"

Amelia handed the girl her cup of tea from the nightstand, "Drink this," Lucy took the cup gratefully, taking small sips, "My father always told me that if ever I felt worried, I should drink some tea and read a good book. It helps you escape from it all."

Lucy smiled at this, "Good thing I love tea." Amelia giggled slightly at her words. Peter sent her a grateful nod and she smiled back at him. Lucy was so little, Amelia's heart went out to her. They were all the same, after all. They were all lonely children in a strange place with only each other. Amelia had barely known the Pevensies for five minutes, but they were better than nothing.

"I should be getting to bed and I think you all should do the same," Amelia spoke, waving at the four Pevensies as she made her way over to the door.

They all muttered their replies, except for Edmund, before Amelia slowly closed the creaking door. Excitement ran like a drug through her veins. She imagined all the things they could do when the morning came. She would finally have the company of someone other than herself. They could play cricket, or chess or pick flowers in gardens.

Amelia almost laughed at herself. How had she suddenly become so needy for company? She had been doing just fine on her own for six months. Perhaps the creatures on the wall had been enough, but at that moment all she wanted, all she needed in this time of war and peril, was a friend.