Struck by Hard Decisions

Joohyun stroked Seungwan's hair in agony since her best friend was crying on the couch. "People are so nosy and cruel. Why does it matter if a star kisses a girl and has a girlfriend? Why do fans direct their anger onto the woman? Why do people track you down to take photos and bombard you with questions for a living?"

"I know this will all pass by, but it's affecting my work. I have to fight my way to go to the entrance. Today, the reporters and journalists surrounded me and I think I had an anxiety attack. Mark's guards helped us get past the paparazzi, but it didn't stop there. My co-workers watched me and whispered to each other. I'm not going to quit because this is my livelihood, but I don't know if I'll get fired."

Enraged, Joohyun slammed her fist into the couch. "What is Mark doing?"

"He's doing as much as he can. This is beyond his control."

"Well, if things get worse, you should consider working at another place. You can be my assistant for my yoga classes!"

"Thanks for offering, Joohyun. I'll think about it. I'm glad I have you here to comfort me. I don't know what I'm going to do now. Everything happened so fast."

"I know how much you like him. I want you to follow your heart, but you need to do what's best for you. If that means stop seeing Mark, then maybe you should for the time being."

Seungwan's phone rang. It was an incoming call from her mom. 

"Hi, Mom. I'm with Joohyun right now. I had a bad day at work."

"Tell Joohyun I'm grateful she's with you. I just wanted to check in. Dad is worried about you."

"I'm okay. I just don't know what to do in this situation. It's not every day that I meet a celebrity, paparazzi, haters, and scandals simultaneously. It's giving me a hard time at work, getting harassed by reporters and journalists and ignoring my co-workers talking about me."

"I think you should give him a chance. You hit it off well with him. Things will blow over, I hope. If you can't handle it anymore, then you'll have to break things off. I want you to work it out, but not at the expense of your well-being. Your dad wants you two to quit. Whatever you choose, make sure you're satisfied and safe with it."

"Thank you, Mom. I needed to hear that. I have to go now. Love you!"

When she hung up, she knew what she had to do for herself and Mark. She called him. 

"Hey, Mark. We should take a break."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I can't do this anymore, Mark. I thought I could bear with it, but now it involves my workplace. I'm not breaking up with you since we're not even dating. I think we should spend time away from each other until the general public moves on. Until then, maybe we can meet again as boyfriend and girlfriend, but I would have to reconsider. I'm sorry."

"I understand, Seungwan. This is all too much for you. I respect your decision. I would like for us to date comfortably, too. Thanks for everything."

Mark ended the call. Seungkwan overheard. 

"She doesn't want to be with me, Seungkwan. I mean, who could blame her? My fans and the paparazzi are ruthless."

"You have to do something, Mark. You like her, don't you? You made her your tour guide even though you met her through a wrong email in spite of how I felt about her. You liked her humor and all the fun places she showed us. It was so obvious you were infatuated with her. You were always trying to get a glimpse at her face."

Mark guffawed. 

Seungkwan added, "My point is, fight for her!"

"Let me consult my manager first. I want to make things better for her."

Mark dialed his manager's phone number. He answered the call.

"How can I help you, Mark?"

"Seungwan wants to take a break. This chaos has been taking a toll on her. Is there anything I can do so that people let her rest?"

"I suggest that you go back to the United States for a tour. You can repair your reputation as well as Seungwan's reputation because the public will be focused on getting tickets. Everyone here will get on with their lives eventually."

"That won't do. I have a proposition."