Warnings of a Wanderer

The land was covered in a thin layer of snow but there would be more. George and his comrades broke a few twigs before throwing it into the their campfire. The temperature was just over freezing and the winds made it worse. It was time to pack out the grey winter coats.

They all hoped and waited anxiously for the supplies to arrive in time. Patriotism and courage do not protect against Snow and ice.

The Sergeant walked over and addressed them in his usual fashion. „Alright ladies, you know the drill. Line up and present your arses."

George was one of those picked for guard duty. This one was just outside the camp at the treeline. He hated it, especially since he barely moved around and couldn't get warm.

But less then an hour into his shift, he heard a giggle from behind the treeline and saw a shadow there. Unsure of what to do, he decided to investigate.

„Hello there young wanderer." A female voice called out to him behind a large tree. „So you saw me then."

Suspicious of her intentions, George pointed his musket at her. „Come out and show yourself." He received no reply at first but then she emerged. A beautiful native woman in her twenties, dressed in traditional clothes from the area. And she truly was beautiful. Like an angel that came straight from the heavens.

Perfect light brown skin, long black hair and perfectly shaped, dark eyes. She wore a typical dress for the natives in the area, going all the way down to her feet. Only her shoulders were exposed, yet the cold did not seem to bother her too much. „I am not here to harm you. But I am a very curious person and just had to meet you." she said.

„Me?" George asked, not lowering the gun. He was surprised that she spoke English, even with a heavy accent. And how the hell did she get past the patrols?

„Oh all of you. Those that came from across the sea. You call yourself.... British?" she asked, unsure of the term.

„Yes, that's right. You've never met some of us before?" He found that hard to believe. Sure, this was an isolated village but they were in contact with the colonists for centuries at this point. „I haven't seen you around here."

„I'm from one of the surrounding villages." she smiled.

„And where did you learn how to speak our language?"

„Oh I listen... I observe... and there was a man who came to my village long ago. He wore long, dark clothes and spoke about a spirit he worshipped. God, he called him."

„A missionary. And he thought you our language?" George came closer to this strange and beautiful woman. He felt calm and... warm around her.

„Oh no. But he left us this strange thing that you call a bible. I used it to learn."

It sounded like a plausible story and George sat down on a tree trunk next to her. Although he felt safe around her, this was also what made him weary of her. „Why didn't you just came to visit?"

The woman looked away shyly and pulled a strain of hair behind her ear. She looked so adorable. „I'm not very good around people. And like I said, I have observed you all. You... you are different."

The redcoat narrowed her eyes at the beauty. „Different... how?"

„You are not like the others. You are passionate about being a warrior yet you do no lust for blood. You always speak the truth and treat your fellow humans with respect, even my people."

George blinked. „And you learned all that just by seeing and listening?"

She nodded eagerly. „Yes. And now I finally get to meet you in person. So fascinating." The young woman reached out for his hand and he did not refuse.

But then he looked down on her arm and saw her perfect, smooth skin and Her long, elegant fingers. That's when he knew who she was. „You were with him when he was killed by that beast."

The woman looked at him with sadness in her eyes. She did not even try to deny it. „Forgive me... I couldn't save him. But now that you know... why did you walk away when I called you over? Do you have someone at home?"

„I'm not sure why this is important to you." he said with anger in his voice and narrowed eyes. This woman was suspicious to say the least.

The young native sighed. She really messed up. „I'm just a curious person. Forgive me if I have offended you."

It sounded sincere enough for him. George sighed, he really was too kind. „No, I do not have a wife and kids waiting for me at home."

This only increased the curiosity of the native, who got a bit too close for comfort. „So why didn't you?"

Being so close to her made George realize just how much he longed for her a woman's touch since becoming a soldier, yet he rejected her still. „I'm.... not the kind of man who simply indulges in the pleasures of the flesh. I know this sounds silly." he shook his head. What was he thinking telling this stranger his secrets?

„You are looking for love, aren't you?" she asked with admiration on her eyes.

„I... Yes. I know it's silly...."

„No no, it is not. I admire that. Taking care of your loved ones and family is the greatest thing one can experience." She spoke with much love but also lots of dedication in her voice. As she spoke, it began to snow heavily.

George pulled his coat tightly to his body. „I would like to continue our fine conversation but I need to return to my post. Will you be alright?" Something told him she would but he still wanted to ask.

„Oh yes, I practically live here. I know which places to go, where you can find the most food and animals, which places are dangerous and where it is best to hide."

„Then why not come join us? We could use a guide like you." George suggested.

The woman just smiled. „I'm afraid that is not possible. Maybe one day I'll tell you why." she winked at him and stood up to leave.

„Wait! Will I see you again?" He was sure why but he felt an urge to talk to her again very soon.

Again, the stranger smiled at him. „You will." she said mysterious before vanishing into the bushes.

She was so strange and yet he wanted to meet her again. He wondered if she was going to be alright out there and, in fact, would always be on his mind from that point onwards whether he was awake or not. „I wonder what her name is."  he thought as he was going to sleep that night on his tent.

Unfortunately for him and everyone else, the beautiful woman was not the only stranger out there. Tomorrow, the nightmare would start.