The Spy

Sammy tailed Wally as the janitor meandered through the offices, his steps staggering him into a wall. It was 2 a.m., after all, and he hadn't eaten since... well, he didn't remember. He paused to rub at his eyes, then shook his head and took a deep breath.

Stay awake, stay alert.

He did his normal routine for each room, emptying the trash and mopping up any ink stains. He then entered an office and noticed something on a chair. Curious, the janitor picked it up and set it on the desk. His stomach growled. How could it not with a whole Devil's Food cake practically screaming his name?

Wally shook his head. No, he wouldn't fall for it. There had been too many taken by spiked food and drinks. He'd gotten some of them out, often by physically dragging them out the door. Every time, they'd puked ink after getting outside. Some began rambling about whispers in their head and an invisible hand keeping them in the studio. Others claimed to have seen ink moving on its own. One mentioned a demon possessing Joey.

Please. A demon possessing Joey? He was already a demon. He didn't need any help from a hell-spawn.

Wally carved a chunk out of the cake, noticing the black filling with a sharp scent. "Yeah, that ain't no frosting," he said to himself.

Poisoned ink. He needed to get rid of the cake. Perhaps down the toilet.

The deed was done, but Wally knew he had to do something to explain himself. After all, an entire cake going missing was bound to be noticed. Even if entire people going missing somehow wasn't. Another one of Drew's mysteries.

He found a blank tape to record with and left it in an appropriate spot. Deciding his work done for the night, he put his supplies away and passed out in his office.

He woke up four hours later. Wally smiled and greeted his mop good morning. The fact he was alive meant he could work another day, and so could any other unsuspecting person who may have succumbed to the Studio's bait.

Another victory, as far as he was concerned. Wally laughed to himself. Another victory.

The jaded janitor gained his feet and donned his cap, ready to resume his rounds. He slipped his keys into his pocket and opened his office door to be met with Joey's presence.

Wally grinned his signature crooked grin, "Mista Drew! Good mornin'! What can I do ya fer?"

Joey's expression remained stoic. He glanced into the room, "May I come in?"

"Sure!" Wally stepped back to let his boss inside, "Though, ah, there ain't much ta see."

"That's fine. I more wish to talk."

"Oh?" Wally pulled over a chair with his foot and sat down backwards, "'bout what?" He lifted a hand at Joey's opened mouth, "Wait, wait, if it's another one o' those dang pipes-,"

"It's not."

"Oh! Then pray tell."

Joey held up a tape. A tape with Wally's name.

Wally scrunched his eyes, "Waaaaait, ain't those s'posed ta be kinda private?"

"The entire cake, Wallace?" Joey asked, "Even Sammy's notorious appetite couldn't finish an entire Devil's Food cake."

Wally hung his head, "Golly, I'm real sorry, Mista Drew, I really am! I didn't know that cake was yours!"

"To be quite honest, I'm surprised you ate the entire thing and managed to survive."

Wally's head tilted, "Huh?"

"After all, there was enough of that laced ink to kill a man in under five minutes. So the fact that you're still your annoyingly alive self means there was something else going on."