Hinata's History Lesson

Start from the beginning

"She's mad at me not you, so don't worry about that."

I hesitantly open the door and step inside, leaving Rimuru out in the hallway.

Once again, everyone is staring and muttering but this time at me alone. Hinata, now back at the front of the room, glances at me once before returning her attention to her class preparations.

I make my way through the classroom, feeling very awkward as all the eyes of the other students follow me as I do. Well, one student wasn't staring at me like the others; that being the boy who was scolded for not knowing who Rimuru is. He's, instead, staring down at his desk, looking both scared and regretful. I decided that I'll sit next to him since one of the few open seats happens to be the one directly to his right.

At the sound of me pulling the chair out, he looks up at me. He immediately looks a little scared by me being near him and leans back slightly.

"Hey, y-you're that guy that was with Demon Lord Rimuru just a minute ago, aren't you?" He asks, his voice shaking a little.

"Yes," I reply.

"D-did he tell you to p-punish me or something? I didn't mean to disrespect the leader of Tempest...I really didn't..."

"No, he didn't, I don't even think Rimuru noticed you."

"Really?"

"Really. Rimuru isn't as scary as you're thinking...well, he can be, but not over someone not recognizing him."

"Wow...you're addressing the Demon Lord without title..."

"We're friends so yeah."

"Who are you anyway?"

"My name is Iruma. I'm just a friend of Rimuru's, nothing more."

"A friend of Demon Lord Rimuru, huh? Well, I should tell you my name too. I'm Aiden, my parents are adventurers who just moved here to take advantage of the Labyrinth. I've been here less than a week so I'm still figuring out how stuff works in this place. Since you're friends with the Demon Lord, maybe you could tell me a few things about Tempest? I don't wanna offend anyone just like I did a minute ago."

"You didn't offend Rimuru, I'm sure about that, but I probably know less than you do. This is only my second day in Tempest and I'm just visiting."

"So we're kinda in the same boat when it comes to being familiar with this place then?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Still...a teenager being friends with a Demon Lord...wait, you are a teenager, right? You look like one, but I've heard some of the people here don't look their age"

"Yes, I'm 14. I get what you mean too, Rimuru doesn't look his age...I think. I actually have no idea how old Rimuru is...I at least know he's older than he appears."

"Demon Lords live a long time I think, so he could be very old I bet," Aiden says, covering his mouth when he realizes what he just said. "...wait, please don't tell the Demon Lord I said that! I wasn't trying to be rude!"

"Haha, I won't, I promise."

"So, how did you become friends with a Dem-" Aiden starts to ask before being interrupted by Hinata loudly clearing her throat to grab everyone's attention.

"Good morning, my students. It is time to begin today's lesson. I expect you to give me all of your attention today, despite that little 'interruption' we had a moment ago." Hinata says, a small expression of irritation developing on her face as she emphasizes the word 'interruption'.

The buzz of many conversations among students in the room ceased immediately when Hinata started talking.

"Today we will be covering Demon Lord Rimuru's ascension to his current position among the Heptagram. Could one of you please tell me what the Heptagram is?" Hinata asks, eyeing all the students for one to provide an answer.