4

A group of Roman soldiers found and rescued Cassius. Octavian used it as a way to further the anger at the Greeks. Cassius sat in his room, a bandage wrapped around his shoulder, his head in his hands. Reyna walked into his room, stopping when she saw him. Cassius turned to look at her, "What? Come to gloat about how I was mistaken?" "No, I came to check on you, see if you were alright." "Why? You hate me." "Hate is a strong word. Vastly dislike, maybe." He chuckled but winced at the sudden movement in his shoulder, Reyna's face turned serious again, "Does it hurt?" "Slightly, but it should be healed in a couple of days." "Good, the Legion needs its Pontifex Maximus." "You were strongly against me getting elected to the senate, you must have been livid when I became Pontifex Maximus." "I know that both you and Octavian have a lot of influence in the Senate, there was no use arguing against it." She sat down next to him. He smiled at her, "I didn't ask to become Pontifex Maximus, it was entirely Octavian's idea, I believe he has his schemes and plans." "He always does. I know of your ambitions, you want to be Consul." "I do, becoming Praetor could be a step in the right direction." "Why? Why do you want to become the most powerful person in New Rome?" His smirk dropped, his face turning serious, "I need to, to prove that I am worthy of bearing the name, Caesar." Reyna humorlessly chuckled, "You have rooms of people chanting your name and an entire city following your command. And you think you're not worthy of being a Caesar?" "Augustus adopted me when I was a baby, my mother was dead, so was my grandfather. My father and grandmother couldn't see me. Augustus was the only person I knew that loved me. And I was taken from him. I am alone. My siblings or godly relatives don't talk to me, my best friend betrayed me, you don't like me. So, I created these goals, to prove I'm more than what everyone makes me out to be. But they don't help." Reyna looked at him in surprise, she didn't expect any of what he said, "Well, what do you want?" He looked back at her, his face portrayed his real feelings, how broken he was, "I just want somebody to love me." Reyna's heart broke for the young demigod, she swiftly pulled him into a hug. Once she made sure he was ok, she left his room.

Reyna IMed Jason to tell him Cassius was ok. Jason was so relieved that his friend was fine. Annabeth, Piper, and Hazel informed the others of what Venus told them about Cassius. Jason was heartbroken that he hadn't realized the struggle his friend went through. The Seven planned to cross the Atlantic to get to the Mare Nostrum, while the Romans continued to plan their march on Camp Half-Blood. Cassius, Reyna, Octavian, and the other Centurions stood around a map of the Greek Camp, planning their strategy. Eventually, Reyna left to fly across the Atlantic, they had received a message from Annabeth telling Reyna what to do. Cassius agreed with her, for once, and let her go. Once she got out of Tartarus, Annabeth then made a decision, she IMed Cassius. He was in his tent when the message patched through. He looked up to see Annabeth, "Hello, it is an odd decision to IM the person who waged war on your home." "I know there is more to you, I talked to your grandmother." "I see, and Jason probably told you of my conversation with Reyna." "Yes. I don't understand you, you were nice when we met and Jason, Hazel, and Frank said you are nice. But then you declare us enemies of New Rome." "I'm protective of my home." The two talked well into the night, and they kept doing it.

Cassius had led the Romans to Camp Half-Blood. Octavian had taken joint command but Cassius disagreed with some of his methods. They attacked the Greeks, but then Reyna arrived with the Athena Parthenos, Cassius knew the battle was over, he had failed, again. Suddenly the Seven and Gaia appeared. Leo, Piper, and Jason confronted Gaia on Festus, while the others led the Romans and Greeks together against Gaia's forces. Cassius used his winged sandals to fly up and join Jason, Piper, and Leo. "I'm here to help, I was wrong. I can use my charm speak, I usually don't unless it's important." "Wait, you don't use charm speak? You're just that convincing?" "Yes." Piper and Cassius both used their charm speak to put Gaia to sleep. Leo then pushed them off, saying he had to be the one to defeat Gaia. Cassius, Piper, and Jason plummeted to the ground, just in time to see Octavian accidentally fire himself from a cannon. Octavian hit Leo as he used his fire abilities, blasting Gaia into millions of tiny pieces. The Greeks and Romans together stopped Gaia's army. Once the group reached the ground, they stood up. Jason and Cassius looked at each other, smiling. Suddenly a spear pierced through Cassius' chest, from his back. Everyone stopped and stared with wide eyes. Standing behind him was a monster, Frank thought fast and shot an arrow at it, killing it instantly. Cassius' face held shock and pain, bloodstained his toga and armor. He looked down at the javelin coming through his torso before he collapsed to the ground.