𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 , 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒅-𝒄𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒔.

[ CHAPTER SEVEN ! ]

blood-covered hands.

"YOU'RE NINETEEN. You can't be their legal guardian when they have a father who's perfectly stable." The blonde woman retorted.

"How would you know if he's perfectly stable if you won't inspect our fucking house!" She threw her hands in the air, before slamming her hands on the social worker's desk.

"Ma'am. I get that you're upset but—" she got cut off by Clay.

"Do you?" She pulled her shirt down her shoulders, revealing the cigarette burnt scars. "Do you think I'm making this up? What, that I'm just drawing it on?"

"He may have abused you, and you're nineteen—you're more than welcome to move out. Until you have proof that he abused your sisters, there's not much I can do." She was so calm—her eyes were soft, her lips were relaxed, her hands folded on her desk.

"He never fucking touched them! That's why I have these—cause I was protecting them!"

"Unless both parents are unstable, abusive or deceased, I can't do anything." She repeated and Clay shook her head.

"Fuck you!" She tossed the papers that were on the woman's desk onto the floor before walking out.

BLOOD. THERE WAS blood everywhere. On Clay's hands—on her shirt—on the floor.

Clay let out an audible gasp as she stared at her—now shaking—hands.

She just killed her father.

She dropped the knife, and it soon joined the puddle of blood forming underneath the man's body.

She took a step back, away from the stream of blood.

She didn't bother to wipe the tear off of her cheek—she just froze.

The doorbell rang, snapping Clay out of her phase of terror.

"Shit, shit, shit," she muttered, rushing to the sink, she scrambled for bleach and a cloth.

She couldn't believe what she had just done.

CLAY MADE SURE to leave two hours earlier just so that she could make it to the office at least an hour before Matt--she had been doing that for the past two weeks. Though, she knew Matt wouldn't be showing up for a day or two after falling down the stairs.

But today, when she walked into the office to greet Audrey like every day, Audrey wasn't at the desk. Matt was.

She stood there, looking at him for a long moment before shaking her head and walking past him, though, Matt caught up to her and held an arm out in front of her, blocking her from going any further, forcing her to look at him.

"Clay," His voice was light and quiet, like a prayer. "Listen, I'm sorry--"

Clay kept walking, breaking the barrier his arm had built, but he gripped her arm.

"Please," He frowned, but, she shook her head again.

"It's funny how you want to apologize all of a sudden."

"I...fell down the stairs, my mindset was sort of off... what did you expect?"

"Manipulation," She scoffed, "Real fucking cute."

"Why can't you just accept my apology?"

"Why are you only saying sorry for all of it now?"

"Clay, I haven't been able to sleep--"

"How do you think I've felt?"

Matt sighed, running a hand through his hair, "Do you know why I broke up with you?"

Clay looked over at the wall next to them, ignoring him.

"I was scared." He breathed, "I was falling so in love with you and I didn't want to give you false hope for a future--"

Clay shook her head and used his loosened grip as an advantage to escape it. "Just stop it, Matt."

"Clay--" He'd gotten her back against the wall. This time, his face was just a couple of inches from hers. He was going to kiss her.

Clay felt his breath tickling her lips and then--

"Clay, your nine o'clock appointment is ready for you."

Matt backed away from her and rubbed the back of his neck as he cleared his throat, while Clay stared at Audrey, her eyes wide and frantic as she watched a blush creep upon Audrey's cheeks, "I'm so sorry--"

Clay shook her head, plastering on a wide smile, "No, don't apologize! Murdock and I were just talking."

Murdock.

Clay walked up to where Audrey was and followed her out into the lobby, where her next client sat.

"IT WAS EMBARRASSING!" Clay cried out, her head rested in Leo's lap, "Audrey saw us. about to kiss." She rambled the words together, squeezing her eyes shut as she watched Leo laugh,

"Did you want  him to kiss you?" Leo raised an eyebrow at her and she covered her face, shaking her head.

"No!" She felt like a little girl in middle school who was about to have her first kiss. 

His laugh only intensified, she felt as his whole body was now moving underneath her. He moved his arm from her stomach to his own, his eyes were clenched shut and his face turned red--she thought he might explode if he laughed any harder.

She rolled her eyes as she listened to him laugh at her. She lifted her head slightly, a devilish grin replacing her scowl, "Do you want to go to the club?"