Chapter 77 - Approaching Graduation

Start from the beginning

"Awe," Davey yawned, "that's sweet," 

"I figured you'd feel better about me waking you up if I made breakfast," Jack shrugged, "it's not much. Just some toaster waffles, some iced coffee for you, and tea for me," 

"You made iced coffee for me?" Davey smiled, "you know me so well,"

"That's kinda my job," Jack shrugged.

"Right," Davey nodded, "Thank you,"

"Did I tell you that Medda's having Superintendent Roosevelt over for dinner tonight?" Jack remembered.

"No, why is she going to have him over?" Davey asked.

"Because they're dating," Jack picked up his tea and took a sip, "it just weirds me out," 

"Yeah, that's a little weird," Davey agreed, "Well, I mean, not the fact that they're dating, I just wonder how they must have met," 

"I didn't think of that," Jack admitted, "I think they ran into each other in public or something," 

"We should ask them tonight," Davey suggested. 

"Right, because THAT wouldn't be incredibly awkward," Jack rolled his eyes.

"Well, should we get back to watching our show," Davey pointed out, "if we want to finish it by tomorrow," 

"Right," Jack nodded, "let's go," 

They only stopped watching their show twice that day, once when they went and got Wendy's for lunch, and then when Medda called them down for dinner. 

"Maine's here, too?" Jack noticed. He tried not to acknowledge that the school Superintendent was sitting at the dining room table.

"Well, Maine's basically part of the family, aren't they?" Medda brought a pot of soup to the table and put it on a hot pad next to a tray of bread rolls.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Crutchie and I got married," Maine admitted.

"I'm sure there could be perks to a platonic marriage," Medda put her oven mitts away, "at the very least, people wouldn't hit on you because you're married," 

"Don't forget about tax benefits," Roosevelt added.

"Pfft, taxes," Maine rolled their eyes, "not looking forward to THAT part of being an adult,"

"Luckily, you still have two years before you turn eighteen," Crutchie shrugged.

"Are we ready to eat?" Medda sat down at the table. 

"Yes," Jack nodded.

"Alright, everyone, pass your bowls down. I'll dish up the soup, and we can eat," Medda held out her hand. 

Once everyone had food, Roosevelt took it upon himself to start a conversation. 

"So, you're some of the kids who were fighting for LGBT student rights down at World High School, right?" he began.

"Yep, that's us," Maine nodded.

"Except for me," Lexi clarified, "I'm not old enough to go to high school," 

"But I bet that when you are, you'll do great things," Roosevelt nodded, "Just like your brothers," 

"Yeah, they're good role models," Lexi agreed.

"That's good," Roosevelt stirred his soup. 

"So, Jack and I were meaning to ask how you two met," Davey remembered.

"It was at a class for adults to learn how to be better parents," Medda answered, "I wanted to be a better parent to you kids, and Teddy wanted to be a better uncle to his nephew,"