Chapter 56 - Bigger Problems

The next Monday morning, Jack brought a few signs to school and handed them out to the newsies, the plan was to carry the signs with them throughout the day to make themselves seen.

Things went fine for the first day, and the second, and the third. No one really payed attention to the newsies, but every so often someone would look up and see Mr. Pulitzer or Weasel glaring at them. On the fourth day, Mr. Pulitzer went over to the newsies lunch tables and cleared his throat to get their attention.

"Hello... newsies," he began, "I couldn't help but notice your signs,"

"They're hard to miss," Maine raised an eyebrow, "considering all the RAINBOWS,"

"I'm going to have to ask you to put them away, the... color palette is distracting to other students," Mr. Pulitzer had a very calm tone to his voice, but it was more the kind of calm when a parent is trying not to yell at their kid in public than genuine calmness.

"But if we put our signs away, how will we EVER get our point across?" Maine mimicked his tone.

"Your choices are to put them away or I confiscate them," Mr. Pulitzer crossed his arms.

Maine looked around at the newsies, "Alright, take them," she handed her sign over, "but I promise you, we will not be silenced,"

Mr. Pulitzer took the rest of the signs and went to his office to dispose of them.

"Good thing I made backup signs," Jack chuckled.

The very next Monday, they started their process over. By Wednesday, Mr. Pulitzer was back at their lunch table.

"I warned you about the signs, hand them over," he shook his head.

When he was gone, Maine went over to Jack and whispered "I can supply you with white t-shirts and fabric markers, he can't take away shirts,"

"I like the way you think," Jack smiled.

So after Thanksgiving break, Maine, Crutchie, Romeo, Specs, Elmer, and Buttons had t-shirts that matched the signs, and Jack was in the process of making shirts for the others.

"I have warned you time and again about this propaganda, if you can't obey orders, there has to be consequences," Mr. Pulitzer told them, "everyone in one of these t-shirts is in detention, no exceptions,"

"Why? They don't break dress code," Romeo pointed out.

"Au contraire, propaganda usage via clothing is, in deed, against dress code," Mr. Pulitzer replied and left before another newsie could say a word.

"This doesn't change a thing," Jack reminded the newsies, "I'll make shirts for the rest of you, he can't put all of us in detention,"

Jack was right about that. Once the only newsies without t-shirts were Katherine, Jack, and Davey, things took a sharp turn that no one saw coming.

"I didn't want it to come to this," Mr. Pulitzer looked over the sea of white t-shirts with rainbow words written on them, "but as I can't put all of you in detention at once, you leave me no choice. I'm suspending news club,"

The entire crowd exclaimed "WHAT?!?"

"But dad, that isn't fair!" Katherine stood up.

"I know it's not fair for those of you following the rules, Katherine," Mr. Pulitzer looked over at her, "I'm sorry your friends had to ruin it for you,"

When he was gone, everyone looked at Jack.

"What do we do now?" Crutchie asked, "news club was who we were, Jack,"