Ukiyo

This is story is written for a contest hosted by Romance

"Shut up Kai," Eira murmured.

"Nopes," he mused.

Eira rolled her eyes and focused on the television screen as Joey muttered, "could I be wearing anymore clothes?"

She picked up a slice of pizza from the takeout box they ordered and adjusted her position on the couch, folding her legs beneath her.

For the past ten minutes Kai has been babbling about a novel he just read and Eira who hasn't read a single novel can do nothing but listen to him.

"You have to read that novel," he pleaded and looked at her, his green eyes crinkling and lips set in a thin line.

"You know I don't like novels, now, shut up and let me watch 'Friends' in silence," Eira muttered exasperatedly.

He got up from the couch and his lean frame towered over her. "Fine," he said and stomped down the hall.

Eira smiled to herself because she knew his anger never lasted for more than a few seconds. She doesn't even know how they ended up being bestfriends. It was an year back when her date ditched her and Kai being Kai saw her and asked her to hangout with him. Not to forget, they were strangers back then.

When they swapped numbers and spent some time together, they realised they have so much in common yet they were opposite in so many ways.

They were practically each others go to person by now.

Eira had had feelings for him since the past few months. Once she was on her periods and he crashed her apartment with chocolates, pizza and what not she couldn't help but feel blessed that she has him in her life.

She doesn't know if he reciprocates her feelings or not and so she is afraid of getting her heart broken.

The episode of 'friends' ended along with the pizza slice she was eating. Eira got up from her seat, washed her hands and took her favourite spot on the balcony plugging in her earphones.

The balcony was not huge. It was a small rectangular place with potted plants lined up on the corners and a few creepers climbing along the wall. Eira placed a bean bag in one of the corners and plopped down on it.

Stars were scattered around in the night sky and tall buildings illuminated London. She gazed towards The London eye and smiled.

This was the reason she liked this corner of her apartment due to its breathtaking view. Just some lofi songs and her evening was perfect.

She was peacefully listening to her playlist when she heard Kai yelling out her name from the other room.

Furrowing her eyebrows she got up from her place and went towards him.

"Eira, Eira, Eira!" he called out from the guest room which was practically his room.

"What happened?" Eira asked, baffled. He was holding his phone in his hand and his eyes were lit up with a grin plastered on his face.

He looked towards her slowly. "You remember the job interview I told you about? At the Hilton's?" He took a dramatic pause. "I just got a job!" he exclaimed.

Eira grinned. He was working so hard for this and she was genuinely happy for him.

"Oh my god, Kai. I am so happy for you!" She exclaimed and enveloped him in a hug.

"I know right. I am so elated right now," he said as Eira broke the hug.

"I want a party!" Eira demanded and they made their way towards the hall.