T W E N T Y - S I X

Start from the beginning

"Are you kidding?"

Max purses his lips for a moment as he shifts between his feet. "I said I was sorry for what I said, it never meant to come out like that and I never meant to hurt you. That is the last thing I want to do."

I snort to myself, my tiredness getting the better of me. "Whatever," I murmur under my breath as I turn my back on him and continue up to the campus shop.

My stomach was growling loudly and I needed to eat before I passed out.

"Oliver," Max says instantly, reaching out to grab my arm. "Please don't walk away from me."

"You don't turn your back on people you love Max," I snap at him, my eyes growing with tears. "I'd never do that to you, no matter what situation I was in. I needed you and you didn't want to be there for me, that speaks volumes."

Max's face drops and he swallows harshly. "I fucked up Oliver, I'm sorry."

"All a relationship is, is being there for one another. That is literally it, the foundations of a relationship are being able to rely on one another for support when we need it." My throat clenches as I try my hardest not to let any tears drop.

"I want to be there for you Oliver, I want to support you. I want to listen to you, listen to how you're feeling," he explains desperately. "I know your anxiety is bad, I want to help. I just want to cuddle you and listen. That's all I want to do."

"Sorry isn't good enough," I sigh out before rubbing my eyes, letting the water brush against my fingers. "Don't mind me, I'll just go make some new friends." I say bitterly.

Max huffs out frustratedly as he watches me climb the campus stares. "Are you breaking up with me?" He calls out suddenly, his voice cracking.

My heart clenches at his words and my tears fall instantly as I stop and slowly turn to face him. "I don't know Max," I shrug pathetically. "Maybe I'm too reliant on you, maybe I'm bringing you down."

"That is not true," he breathes out as he storms up the stairs towards me. His hands snake around my cheeks and hold me tightly. "Please don't break up with me over something stupid that I've done. You know that I am not a nasty person and I never want to hurt you. I was being a fucking dickhead and I am so sorry, so sorry Oliver."

I avoid his eyes at all cost, I could barely look at him without wanting to break down in tears and end up sobbing on his shoulder.

Max sighs and lowers his forehead to mine, keeping his warm hands clutched to my cheeks as he holds me tightly. "If you want space then I'll give you space," he mumbles quietly. "But I love you, and I'm sorry that I said some awful things to you. I want to do better, I will do better."

My eyes flutter close at the sound of his voice, his words somewhat calming me.

"You're right," I nod eventually, pulling my head away from his. "I need some space, for the moment. I just want to eat, shower, tidy my room and get my brain in check. These last couple of days have been torture."

"And I cannot apologise enough for not being there to support you, or for making you think that I don't care. I care so much." Max's lips frown as he drops his hands from my face.

"Just give me this afternoon and evening," I nod my head, lowering my eyes to the floor. "Please."

"Okay." Max nods instantly, taking a step backwards. "I'll give you the space you need."

"Thank you," I say gratefully.

"Can I call you later tonight?"

My head nods slowly. "Yeah," I say quietly.