Chapter 9

"You don't have to make it so obvious," I chuckled at Sinn as he glared at the ground in front of us. His frown deepened the longer we walked along the dirt road to the market. He may have made a deal and gotten what he'd wanted, but he was also having to do something as mundane as walking. 

In his world, that's not a normal thing. 

"We're richer than ninety-five percent of the population. Why are we walking instead of driving?" He threw his arms up, reminding me of a spoiled, five-year-old brat.  

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, "walking is good for you and so is fresh air. Stop thinking so negatively all the time and look at the bright side of things." 

"List one thing that could make this situation so bright and fun." 

"The sun," I gave him a big smile. He just stared at me and licked his lips as his eyes looked me up and down. My eyebrows pulled together, "don't look at me like that." 

"Like what?" He looked ahead of us again as he gulped, making his Adam's apple bob.

"Like my dress is wrapping paper and your gift is underneath it," I said, fiddling with the buttons on my cropped sweater. I noticed a loose thread and brought it closer to my face to get a good look. Realizing it wouldn't ruin the rest of the sweater, I wrapped it around my finger and started ripping it out. 

"Jasmine!" Sinn yelled less than a millisecond before I was yanked to his chest at the same time as a honking car zoomed by, going way too fast to be safe. My eyes were wide and in shock as his arms wrapped around me like a shield. The large gust of wind it left behind had me so anxious that I hid my face with my hands, shivering at the cold feeling invading the warmth of Sinn's large presence embracing me.

"Whoa," I gasped, feeling vibrations of fear in my chest as adrenaline pumped through my veins. I smiled at the feeling, liking the way my body felt elevated in the moment. 

Suddenly, Sinn grabbed onto my arms and yanked me away from him while still holding me tight, "are you fucking stupid? Can't you watch where the hell you're going? I swear to God, Jasmine, you're gonna get yourself killed acting like a clueless idiot all the time." 

I felt a jab in my heart as he spat out those insults, nothing but anger and disgust in his eyes as he scowled at me. "I'm sorry, my button was just-"

"I don't give a shit about your button, you almost got ran over!" He yelled even louder, raising his hands. 

He's gonna hit me. 

Butterflies. Think about butterflies. 

But it didn't work. He continued yelling and throwing his hands in the air, making me flinch when they'd get near my face. I didn't realize tears were threatening to spill from my eyes until the yelling stopped and he went silent. He was staring down at me but my vision was too blurred to see and I wasn't going to wipe them away because my body was frozen, forcing my hands to stay at my sides as I fisted the fabric of my dress between my fingers.

"Jasmine," he muttered, still angry but having lowered his tone. I looked down, a pout forming on my lips as the tears finally started falling from my eyes and onto the ground. A struggled sob left my mouth as I brought my hands up to cover my face in shame. 

Not about him yelling at me. It was about showing my emotions and becoming vulnerable in front of someone who doesn't deserve to see that side of me. 

I felt those familiar arms wrapping around me, only this time they were gentle and warm, giving me the feeling of comfort that I didn't want. I placed my palms on his chest and shoved him away, making him stumble in shock, "don't touch me!"