𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

Adam

If there was one thing that Lauren had taught me, it would have to be how to swim freestyle properly. She explained that before it was, "sloppy" and "all over the place".

I didn't think that I would be here right now, but here we are. I was standing on one side of the pool looking down at my reflection in the water.

I dove into the water and started to slowly swim, it wasn't so bad at first. But after my fourth lap, it was getting harder.

Lauren

I walked onto the pool deck and set my bag on top of one of the shelves, none of the lanes were open. You're kidding me, there was at least one person in each lane but my eyes stopped moving when I saw lane five.

Was that Adam? I recognize that stroke anywhere, i slowly walked over to his lane and when he got to the wall he looked up and saw me.

Immediately getting out of the pool and grabbing his towel from the diving board pole.

"Adam, wait." I say following him.

"I don't want to hear it Lauren," He scolds and dries his hair with his towel while walking to his bag which was sitting on one of the shelves.

"Adam, hear me out, please." I beg.

He throws a shirt on and turns to me, "No, all the time I've always been second to Charlie when it comes to school, and girls. When I met you I thought it'd be different." He explains.

"Guess not," He says throwing his bag over his shoulder and starting to walk out.

"But I didn't cheat on you, I swear!" I say. "I wouldn't do that," I whisper.

He turns and looks at me, "I'm sorry, but I don't believe you." He says walking out of the building.

I was left standing there with tears in my eyes, still in shock that he wouldn't believe the truth.

Angry I went over to the diner where Charlie usually is, when I got inside I went to the cashier.

"Hi I was just wondering if Charlie has come in here yet today?" I ask.

"He was in here earlier, but he left after talking to his mom." The women says, she leans closer to me. "Someone passed away." She whispers.

I look at her, "Who?" I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders, "Don't know, but I'll let him know you were looking for him." She says.

"Ok, thanks." I say.

•     •     •

A funeral, a fucking funeral was happening on my jogging route. I stopped for a second and looked to see if I knew anyone.

While i was standing behind a tree i felt a hand touch my shoulder making me flinch, i turned around to see a guy who looked in his late thirties.

He was holding something green, "You don't have to hide, come pay your respects if you want." He says.

"I'm not dressed for a funeral-" I start.

He points to my black shirt, "Just, stand in the back." He says and starts to walk towards the crowd.

I didn't know who's funeral it was, but based on the amount of people there I assumed he had a lot of people mourning him.

I slowly walked to the crowd and stood in the far back, I tried to listen on what people were saying but I couldn't hear anything.

I kept my head down until I heard some commotion after some guy stormed away, I took that as a cue to leave.

I slowly started walking away from the crowd when I heard a familiar voice, I turned my head and saw the entire JV hockey team hugging, and talking to each other.

My eyes widened and I quickly realized that I shouldn't be here, I started jogging on the sidewalk again when I bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry." I mutter and look up to come face to face with Charlie, who was crying. "Oh, I'm sorry for your loss." I say.

He looks at me, "Thanks," He mutters in a shakey voice, "What are you doing here?" He asks.

"I jog past here," i say nodding.

He just nods slowly while looking back at the crowd of people, his face shouts slightly and I turn to what he's looking at.

I see Adam looking at us with his jaw clenched, something came over me and I looked back at Charlie who was still crying slightly.

I pulled him into a hug and I felt his arms slowly wrap around me, i heard him sobbing into my shoulder which made his arms tighten around me.

When we pulled apart from each other our faces were inches apart, the next thing I know his lips were on mine.

At first I was hesitant, but then I kissed back. We both pulled back and let go of each other, my hands were on my mouth.

"Lauren-" Charlie starts to say but gets cut off by a groan, he falls to the pavement and i look up and see Adam standing over him.

Charlie got up and pushed Adam, "What the fuck Banks? What's your deal?" Charlie says.

"My fucking deal Conway, is that you kissed Lauren!" Adam shouts.

"You kissed Charlie?" I turn my head and see Linda who has a bouquet of flowers in her hand.

"Linda-" I start.

"What have you guys fucked or something?" Linda shouts making people turn their heads.

"No! We didn't even mean to kiss!" Charlie shouts.

"Is that right?" Adam shouts angrily at me.

No one says anything, Adam and Charlie launch at each other and start fighting each other.

Linda throws the bouquet of flowers at me, "You suck!" She seethes and storms away.

I catch the bouquet and throw it to the ground, i turn around and start jogging towards my house.

Everything was so fucked up.