𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙊𝙣𝙚

Nearly 2 Years Later

"I just don't understand, why would Coach put me in 200 fly? My endurance sucks!" I rant to Linda. "And he had the nerve to want me to qualify for state!"

"You went to the Olympic trials for 100 free when you were 13, I don't think you should worry about your endurance." Linda says. "Would you like to sign this petition for changing our mascot?" She says trying to hand a flyer to a kid walking past us.

"No thanks," the kid mutters and keeps walking.

"Yeah but I went for freestyle, and I didn't even make the team." I say.

"You still went to trials, and were named Miracle Girl." She says.

I look at her, "Hearing that dumb name makes me nauseous." I say.

"And here's the thirteen year old Miracle Girl from Boston, Ms Lauren Parker!" She exclaims imitating the speaker from the trials.

I roll my eyes playfully at her, "Hi, would you like to sign a petition?" Linda asks a guy walking past who was wearing a green hockey jersey.

"Uh, yeah sure what's it for?" The guy asks, did he look, familiar?

"We're demanding the board change the demeaning Warrior name." Linda explains. My brain clicks, he was one of the people who fell into the curtain at the beginning of the day. Him and 'The Ducks', apparently they're here on some sort of scholarship.

"Well Warriors isn't so bad is it? I mean you got the Indians, The Braves, The Redskins, The Blackhawks." He names off.

"You're a jock aren't you?" Linda asks.

"Yeah I play hockey," He says. "In fact," he leans closer to Linda and I turn and lean against the table with my arm holding me up. "Im the captain of the new JV team."

"Forget about it, all you Warrior jocks stick together." She says and walks past me and towards Kim.

"But I'm not a warrior I'm a duck," He tries to say.

I chuckle, "Smooth," I say and turn back to the table to organize the sheets of paper I had printed.

"What?" The guy asks making me turn back to him.

"Failed flirting attempt, quite entertaining for the one you were trying to gets best friend." I say putting my hand on my hip.

"What think you could do better?" He scoffs.

"I don't think, I know." I say.

He starts to walk away, "And by the way," I start and he stops walking. "Just be yourself around her, I'm sure she'd appreciate it,"

He nods slowly and continues to walk away, Linda walks back to the table and puts her stack of flyers next to me.

"You do realize I'm a jock, right?" I say.

"Well, you're re girl jock so you're tolerable and actually care. Boy jocks are helpless," She says.

I scoff, "That's-" I stop. "Yeah you're right they are kinda helpless," I say giving in.

She laughs, "But cmon, that guy was clearly trying to flirt with you, and you turned his poor self down. He actually seemed upset." I say.

She ignores me, "Linda," I say. "Im sure he's not all that bad, just promise if you see him again you'll actually make an effort?"

She takes a deep breath, "Fine, fine, next time he tries to talk to me." She agrees.

"Yes!" I say in victory.