8. A Life For A Life

Hiccup's P.O.V

All of the other riders were either sleeping or trying to, as none of us were sure anymore what time or day it even was. But not me. Instead I was pacing the too narrow gap between walls, trying to figure out our new villain. It had been too long since the last trial; someone else had to be chosen to complete their challenge soon. Heather, Fishlegs, and the twins had already gone. That left only Snotlout, Astrid, and myself.

"Hiccup, would you stop pacing." Astrid groaned, reaching a hand out to wrap around my ankle as I stumbled over her nearly dozing form. Gently, I settled down next to her and interlaced our fingers.

"Sorry. Just stressing out."

Astrid laughed sleepily into the crook of my neck, her breath skittering across my skin leaving goosebumps in its wake.

"Really? I couldn't tell." She deadpanned. "You need to rest though, and if not for yourself then the twins. They need to rest after that challenge, and your leg isn't exactly the quietest."

I glared at the prosthetic for a moment before my gaze shifted to Ruffnut and Tuffnut. They laid a few feet apart, their hands latched tightly together; the shifting firelight cast shadows across their bruised skin.

"I almost envied them for being able to work together, but then..." Astrid's voice faded slowly and she squeezed her eyes tightly shut. Images of changeling acid, my screaming friends and the smell of burning flesh flashed across my mind, overwhelming my senses. "I can't imagine someone hurting you every time I failed."

Suddenly the images changed. Astrid's voice screamed in my head, begging me to stop hurting her. To stop being the screwup that I am. Her beautiful face twisted with pain as silver tears snaked their way down her cheeks and mingled with her blood.

"This is usually where you say something Hiccup-y like 'lucky for me you're perfect and never fail.'" Astrid peered at me from under her bangs.

Slowly, I disentangled our fingers.

"We need to keep our distance." Her eyes widened as I spoke slowly, each word more painful than the last. "We can't risk her using us against each other."

"What? Hiccup slow down."

"If I'm attached to your hip she's going to know just how badly it would hurt me to see you hurt. It would show her just how easy it is to kill you."

Astrid growled in frustration, making desperate grabs for my hand again. Slowly, I rose to my feet.

"Hiccup this is ridiculous. We are betrothed! She already knows all this, all of our enemies have! Hel, I mean look at Viggo!"

"Exactly."

3rd Person P.O.V

It was impossible for Astrid not to flinch when she saw her betrothed's features harden at the mention of her kidnapping. His eyes fixed onto hers with a steely glare, and he took another step away.

"You were kidnapped to get to me. You were almost killed to get to me. You didn't sleep for weeks after that attack and it was all because of me. Viggo was dangerous, but he knew his limits. From what we've seen Ama has no such morals. She kills and maims for the fun of it, for entertainment. I mean, look at Tuffnut's arm, there's barely any skin left to it! I can't stomach seeing them in pain, imagine what it would be like if she got you. I can't put you in harms way anymore that I have a say in. I'm sorry Astrid."

Astrid's heart was racing with fury; heat crawled up her neck to redden her face. How dare he. How dare he talk of what happened to her as if it only affected him.