Chapter Thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

I nodded to myself, grateful that I had at least said my peace. I hadn't yelled or called him out - I had only done my part in reminding him that no matter what, I would always love him.

Jeremy exhaled shakily, and his expression lit up with a flash of skepticism I knew all too well. He reached down to take Bonnie's hand with quaking fingers. Lowering his head minutely, his shoulders slumped as he closed his eyes, almost physically avoiding his next chosen path.

"I will never need a thing from you. You need to realize you do not belong in this family; you never did. You were a mistake created by dark magic. The best thing you can do for Elena and the rest of us disappears," he said, his tone devoid of feeling. Without a backward glance, he pulled Bonnie out the door.

My hands shook and the tremble seemed to cascade down my entire body as I lowered my mug to the kitchen island. The glass clinked angrily against the ceramic countertop, shattering the heavy silence left behind in Jeremy's wake. Closing my eyes, I released an unsteady puff of air as I struggled to maintain my composure. Throughout the centuries, Jeremy wasn't the first family member who had turned against me, and sadly, I was sure he wouldn't be the last, but it never became easier to bear. The hate he somehow harbored for me contrasted bitterly in my mind. I could still see the bright-eyed child that used to stare at me with such love and devotion. I gripped the counter, pulling myself forward and away from the memory of his words. It wouldn't do me any good to dwell. I would not be able to change his heart or mind. I ran my hand along the back of my neck, already feeling the stress build, and the day had only just begun. I moved into the living room, thankful to find it empty as I captured the final pieces of my composure. I leaned up against the back of the couch as I waited for Elena. Thankfully it only took her a few minutes to come bounding down the stairs, her backpack draped over one arm. Casually, I glanced down at it as she hopped off the last step. Nudging my head in her direction, I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

"Uh, what exactly do you intend to do with that? I doubt the Salvatores - or any of the wide-eyed Original family for that matter - will be in much of a teaching mood today," I quipped.

Elena's brows furrowed and she glanced at the door. "Aren't we going to school today? I thought the werebat was gonna call us when he was done figuring out if he believed us about his curse? That leaves us free to go to school. We've missed way too much," she said.

My mouth briefly fell open in amused shock, and I brought my fingers to the bridge of my nose. I released an exasperated breath and was surprised by the smile that worked its way onto my lips. I lifted my hand into the air and placed one finger at attention."Okay first, please never call him that again. If you expect us to survive this attempted team up then you have to keep your little jokes to yourself, at least for now."

I ignored her childish 'humph' of anger and the roll of her eyes as I raised a second finger. "Secondly, as for school, I'm sorry but we are gonna have to miss again. I'm sure if you call Caroline, she and Matty will pick up any missed work for us. We have a few loose ends to tie up," I said, sighing.

Elena rolled her eyes and hung her bag off the end of the banister. "Oh come on! You can't be serious about all that coddling nonsense? He's a thousand years old and you're telling me he can't handle a harmless nickname? Dude needs to pull the crusty stick outta his ass," she huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

I swatted her shoulder, shaking my head, laughter bubbling in my chest. I took her elbow and led her to the door, grabbing my keys and our purses as I went. "You're right; he is a thousand years old. So you must remember he has lived through all the periods that value respect. They don't quite understand or accept joking in the same way we do. Unless your family, or a very close friend, they see it as a form of disrespect," I said, locking the door behind me.