Ch.30 Desert Rose

Chapter 30

Wren could hear the rush of the water falling down the mountains before he even opened his eyes. The golden light from the balcony illuminated the throne room as his family's banner swayed in the cool breeze.

"Wren," came the soft gentle voice of his mother.

Wren slowly opened his eyes and found Antonia waiting for him. Her kind smile lit up her eyes as she held out her hand.

"Come, your father is waiting," she said.

"Father?" Wren asked.

"Yes," Antonias's eyes watered with happiness. "We can all be together now."

With caution Wren reached for his mother's hand and placed it against his face, "Where's Darrian?'

"Don't you remember?" Antonia asked. "You saved us all from him. He's gone."

"Where did h-"

"Wren."

The deep familiar voice of Talon pierced through Wren's chest, making his breath catch in his throat. His heart began to pound in his ear as he looked over his shoulder.

"Come," Talon, a tall fey with graying hair and navy blue eyes, held out his hand.

"Father," Wren squinted. "How is this possible?"

"Anything is possible when you do the right thing," Antonia said, taking Wren's hand and leading him towards the throne.

"I am so proud of you, son," Talon said, smiling down at Wren. "You have saved the people of my kingdom. I knew I left them in good hands."

"I promised you I would take care of them," Wren said.

"Yes," Talon nodded. "But you forgot to save your mother."

"What?" Wren frowned.

"You were not strong enough," Talon sighed. "I should have known. It was my fault for always encouraging you towards the books instead of training you like a proper soldier."

"No, father," Wren shook his head. "You were right about all the stories. Earth is real."

"Doesn't matter," Talon said. "You couldn't save your mother from Darrian. You were supposed to protect her."

"I'm sorry," Wren's chest tightened as a heavy burden descended upon his shoulders. "I'm so sorry."

"She has suffered so much to keep you out of harm's way."

"I know," Wren said. "I know. I owe her the world."

"Then give her the world," Talon said.

"Wh-" Wren's head swayed. "What do you mean?"

"Give her the world, Wren," Talon said once more, looking into his son's eyes.

"Wren!"

Suddenly, Birdie's scream filled Wren's ears.

He spun around to find the guards dragging her into the throne room with her wrists cuffed with brass and shackles dragging from her feet along the floor.

"Birdie," Wren stepped down the steps of the throne and tried to rush towards the girl when he was stopped by his father's voice.

"Wren," Talon said, his voice calm and collected. "Here, son. Take this."

Looking over his shoulder, Wren spied the dagger in his father's hand.

"Show me you can protect your mother," Talon said, handing Wren the dagger.