Ch.21 Potential

Chapter 21

Heyder stepped out of the portal and immediately felt his wife's presence in the room. Maya had a way of doing that to him. Ever since he had marked her at their wedding, Heyder always knew where she was with his whole heart and whatever was left of his soul.

Pushing down the aching pain that gripped his heart, Heyder slowly turned as the portal closed. He knew Maya could feel him too, but she did not look up from her phone.

"Hey," Exton nodded towards Heyder as he walked up to the conference table.

"Hey," Heyder said quietly as he pulled out a chair and took a seat.

The jinn's brown eyes darted towards his wife without his permission. He took notice of the way her brows furrowed and the skin on her forehead creased. Hayden pained to lean forward and kiss her to ease that beating heart.

"We're just waiting on Ali," Exton cleared his throat.

Heyder nodded, "He said he should be here in a few minutes."

"Okay," Exton nodded.

The room fell silent. No one said a word as the minute hand slowly moved from one number to another. Heyder rubbed the back of his neck, fighting with his eyes to stop looking at Maya because every time he looked at her, it was as if the pain was renewed. It came back stronger.

A few times, Heyder leaned forward as if he couldn't stop himself. Maya would stiffen and grow still, holding her breath for the jinn to say something. Heyder didn't know what to say. Exton watched them from the corner of his eyes until Heyder finally decided to speak.

"Did you go to Zuri's birthday party?" He asked.

Maya slowly closed her phone and looked up. Her eyes were lost and filled with a hollowness that shook Heyder's bones.

"Yes," she said.

Heyder nodded, "Good."

"She missed you," Maya continued. "She asked me where you were."

"What did you tell her?"

Maya shrugged, "I didn't say anything. It was her birthday. I didn't want to tell her that her paba didn't think it was important enough to show up."

Heyder felt parts of his heart shrivel up.

"She's only three," Maya continued, her eyes heating up. "She wouldn't understand how selfish you a-"

"That's not what happened," Heyder said, his voice low and his shoulders slouching.

"It's not?" Maya arched her brow. "So you didn't skip your granddaughter's birthday party? I didn't see you there?"

"I went to go see her," Heyder said. "I just left early."

"Why?" Maya questioned. "Let me guess, you couldn't tolerate the people at the party? Or were they annoying you with their normal lif-"

"I left because I thought you would have a better time if I wasn't there."

Maya couldn't help the bitter laugh that bubbled out of her.

"Oh aren't you such an amazing husband," Maya mocked. "So worried about my fuckin' feelings. Liar."

"I can't lie, sweet baby," Heyder frowned, feeling Maya's words chip away at his stone cold heart.

"But you manipulate."

"Never with you."

"That's not h-"