Ch.15 Frozen Rain

Chapter 15

Maya sensed her sister enter the territory before she even laid eyes upon Adaline's ash gray wolf. She shifted Zuri on her hips and hurried over to the door as the wolf leaped up onto the deck and began to growl.

"Ada," Maya said, a bit breathless. "I know you're mad. But please just list-"

Adaline's wolf pushed past her twin sister and entered the house. Her growls rumbled through the halls, making Zuri hide her face in Maya's neck.

"Mimi," the little girl cried as the large wolf began to pace the floor.

Where is he? Adaline demanded through her mind-link.

"I'm right here," Heyder said, coming down the stairs, his feet bare and his sleeves rolled up to his elbows to show off his ink.

Maya's eyes darted from her sister to her husband. She wanted to step in between them, but feared for Zuri's safety.

"You guys, please," she said, her heart thundering. "Not in the house. Let's all talk about this like adul-"

Did he think to speak about this like fuckin adults, Maya?

Maya froze as she heard her sister curse up a storm. It was very much unlike sweet old Adaline to ever even think about using such a word. Maya knew there was nothing she could do or say that would help Heyder.

"Mimi, I want to go home," Zuri shivered.

"Give me a second, baby girl," Maya patted the little girl's back and placed her hand behind her head to guide Zuri face into her hair. "Ada, please go change. You're scaring Zubee."

For a minute my feared Adaline would not listen. The anger in the wolf's eyes was red hot and deadly. Maya had never seen her sister like that.

"Ada," Maya urged. "Please."

With a snare, Adaline's wolf headed up the stairs towards Maya's bedroom. Heyder's jaw worked with annoyance as he stared out the window. Zuri began to whimper as the sounds of bones snapping back into their human form came from upstairs.

"Maya, ca-" Heyder looked towards his wife.

"No," Maya shook her head. "Don't speak to me right now, Heyder."

Before Heyder could say another word, Adaline came stomping downstairs wearing one of Maya's navy dresses.

"How dare you?" She demanded to know, her eyes only on Heyder. "Who the fuck do you think you are to threaten my son?"

"I needed your husband to speak," Heyder said.

"And say what?" Adeline yelled. "We already told you everything we know about Skyfall! We did all that we could and even more to make sure they were wiped clean."

"Something that evil never truly goes away," Heyder said. "I needed to know if there was anything Ben knew about Birdie."

"You think we wouldn't tell you if we did?" Adeline's eyes watered with rage. "She's my niece. I love her like my own daughter, Heyder! Why the fuck would we do anythign to hurt her?"

"Maybe not you two, but people you know," Heyder said.

"So you had your people take my son hostage?" Adeline's eyes narrowed. "Are you fuckin' insane? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Ada," Maya tried to reach out and hold her sister's hand.

"No!" Adaline stepped away. "Maya, my heart breaks for you. You're my twin and I can feel your pain more than anyone. But you two have no right to go after Ben or Alex. We're supposed to be family!"