10

"Where were you," Jayce asked as soon as Elvira walked back out into the living room. "Out," she simply answered, not wanting to deal with him at the moment. She hadn't used her magic that much during these three days, but she still was exhausted. The heavy and polluted air in Zaun took a toll on her lungs, and she needed to regain her energy. 

"Don't try to be smart with me, you were gone for three days, and this isn't the first time you've disappeared like this, being gone for days at the time!" Jayce yelled at her, careful not to spill the secret to Viktor, who was leaning against his cane behind Jayce, confused at the whole situation. 

"Jayce," Elvira warned, feeling her patience running thin. "No, you need to stop! You're ruining yourself, and I don't care that your father thinks this is ok, I don't. I am the one who has to watch you do this to yourself, and I will not just sit here and watch anymore!" "Jayce," she warned him again, but he didn't listen. 

"If you don't stop this, I will have to talk with the council about this, and you know where that's gonna get you," he said, and even though Elvira knew he would never rat her out like that, she snapped at him. "JAYCE!" she screamed, finally getting him to shut up. The cups Aya and Viktor were holding both shattered, small shards flying in all directions and the water that was in the cups splattered onto the floor. 

"Elvira?" Aya asked confused as she looked over at her friend, her hair floating around her head. "Shit," she mumbled under her breath before her hair fell down again, falling in front of her face, hiding her embarrassed look. 

"Well great, the cat's out of the bag now," Jayce complained as if he wasn't the main reason for her slip. "Fuck," he groaned while rubbing his face raw. He was thinking about what to say, and if there were any ways he could get out of this without having to spill Elvira's secret. 

"Fuck it, I have magic, there, it's out," Elvira just blurted out, causing Jayce to drop his hands, and give her a look of shock, before he just sat down in a chair, done with this whole situation. "I can't believe it," he sighed and Aya just chuckled at his reaction. "Magic?" Viktor asked confused but Elvira didn't feel like talking about it. 

She was angry at Jayce for dragging everyone there. Aya lived there, but she was probably with her girlfriend when Jayce decided to drag her over there. Viktor was probably elbows deep in some sort of science or tinkering, and Jayce had to drag them into this.

"Yes, magic," Elvira exhaled loudly, and Aya just walked over and pulled Elvira into a hug. "You can always talk to me, you know that? I would never judge you for something so stupid as you having magic," she said and Elvira almost felt like she was about to cry. 

"Thank you, and I know," Elvira wrapped her arms around Aya, and they hugged for a few seconds. Jayce cleared his throat, and Elvira looked up to see him looking expectantly at her, wanting her to explain herself. "I don't know what to say, to be honest, I don't even know what you want me to say," she told Jayce. 

"This is the second time you've had an outburst like this, your magic is becoming unstable," Jayce said with a mixture of worry and anger in his voice. "Yeah, because this is the second time you have been pushing me and made me incredibly furious," she defended herself.

She knew damn well that wasn't the only reason. Ever since she started spending her nights in Zaun, her magic had been acting out. She used to only really be able to heal, now she could do other things as well. But it also made her way more exhausted. Her bet was that there was something about the toxic fumes in the undercity that her magic reacted to. But her guess was as good as anyone. 

"Don't put the blame on me, Elvira. You know why your magic is acting the way it is," Jayce warned, but she was done with his bullshit. "You can leave," she told him, exhausting in her voice. "No, I'm not done," he protested, but Aya stepped in to help her friend. "Jayce, please. She needs rest. You standing there yelling at her isn't going to make anything better, please go home and you can talk with her tomorrow," Aya stood in front of Jayce, shielding Elvira behind her. 

Jayce let out an angry sigh before picking up his jacket and storming out the door, leaving the three of them in awkward silence. "Thanks," Elvira said as Aya turned around, and Elvira noticed the cuts and blood on her hands. She looked over at Viktor, who was still sitting on the couch, his hands in the same state as Aya's. 

"I did that," she muttered to herself, but Aya just walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a towel, and soaked it with water. "No, don't think about that. If anything, it was Jayce's fault," she started dabbing the wet towel on her cuts, cleaning the blood away. "Aya," Elvira said as she put the damp towel away, grabbed Aya's hands, and started working her magic to heal the cuts there. "Wow," Aya was mesmerized by the glow of the magic. 

"I'm sorry, I just got so frustrated," Elvira apologized to them both as she made her way over to Viktor, and grabbed his hands as well. Viktor's eyes were glued to Elvira's fingers as she healed him, as he was even more mesmerized than Aya. His cuts were a little deeper than Aya's, so it took a little longer to heal. 

His mind wandered back to that time almost a year ago when Elvira had passed out in the lab, and when she woke up, he had felt relaxed and comfortable. It was because she was testing her magic after she woke up. And Viktor concluded that the reason she had passed in the first place, was because she had overused her magic. 

He also figured that was why she had been so weak, tired, and off lately. Her magic. But even though this answered many questions, it also lead to new ones. Where did she disappear to? Was it related to her magic as well? What was she using her magic for, for it to take such a toll on her body?

When she was done healing his hand, he flexed his hand, and it was as good as new. There weren't even any scars left. "This is incredible," he muttered to himself as he examined his hand, but Elvira heard him. "It's not that special," she waved him off, before making her way over to the kitchen to grab the damp towel. Even though she healed his cuts, the blood was still there. She handed Viktor the towel and he started wiping the blood away.

"I guess I owe you both an explanation," she started, but she got hit with a wave of dizziness that made her stumble a little, losing her balance. "You can explain tomorrow," Aya ordered, but not before Elvira's eyes rolled back and she fainted, luckily landing on the couch, and not the floor. 

"And she's out," Aya chuckled before attempting to lift her up. "Do you need help with her?" Viktor asked, but he knew damn well that he wouldn't be able to help her carry Elvira. Not with his bad leg. "NO I'm fine, you should go get some rest," Aya smiled at him while lifting Elvira up. 

"Tell her to meet me at the lab tomorrow, if she's well," he said as he made his way to the door. "Sure thing! Goodnight Viktor," Aya called after him. "Goodnight."