7

Devon has long since gone to bed but I just can't bring myself to sleep so I stare at the pages of my book sitting by the fire I haven't read a single word for hours my eyes are too heavy with sleep to see the words. Every time I doze off I see him standing there smirking at me his dirty blond hair peaking out from the hood he wears. I just can't sleep with him always in my nightmares. He's always there, I haven't slept without seeing him in so long.

I decide to walk outside welcoming the snow kissed air beating down on my face. I sit down on the steps leading up to Devons front door and look out at the word the sky is a perfect calm ocean of stars. I've never seen a more beautiful and calming sky, I lay on my back looking at the hints of blue and green ribbon dancing among the stars above me.

-----

I don't know how long I was out but I awake to Devon sitting in the chair across from me his head laying in his hands. "Goodmorning." I say lightly. Devons eyes meet mine his eyes are always so dark and cold. "Why did I find you passed out on my steps outside?" He questions me.

"I couldn't sleep so I went outside." I respond he runs a hand through his long white hair usually he has it pulled back but today it lays flat over his shoulders. "You look like a mess." He says, I frown. I swear his mouth twitches up into a smile for a second but it goes back to a plastered unamused line.

"When's Phil coming back?" I ask ignoring his rude comment. "What, are you already done hanging out with me princess?" This time he definitely smiles his eyes even light up with amusement. "No, it's just he told me he'd help me with a sword." Devons smile drops at that.

"I can teach you." He says flatly. "Well I ummm...." I trail off trying to find words to say. "You scare me!" I blurt out, slapping a hand over my mouth. Someone lets out a laugh Devon and I turn at the same time to see who the laugh belongs to. "You're back early." Devon says, Phil smiles and waves at us.

"Phil's also nicer than you." I say Devon's attention goes back to me and Phil laughs again. "Well we cant all be the good guys." Devon sands and stretches his arms above his head "get ready, I'm teaching you how to wield a sword."

-----

I stand a couple feet away from Devon his white hair is braided and lay over his shoulder he has his sword resting against the other shoulder, my sword is out in front of me and ready. "Ok I'll go easy on you princess." He smiles, holding out his sword out at the ready and counts down "three, two, one fight!"

I launch at him ready to strike at him, in one Swift motion he blocks my swing. I try again swinging my sword to the side he sidesteps me and swings at me, I step back and block his hit. He smiles in amusement at our duel and I strike him over and over and over again but he blocks every one it's impossible to land a single hit. It annoys me that I can tell he's completely toying with me, barley breaking a sweat.

In the end he was able to strike me multiple times and I was successful none of the times. At the end of the fight I collapse into the snow, completely wore out. Devon chuckles standing over me. "I thought you've never wielded a sword before. You did surprisingly well." I give him a look. "I didn't know surprisingly well meant getting my ass beat. I've used a sword before, just not well." I add

Devon reaches out for my hand lifting me back up before he takes my sword from my hand, leaning it against the house and opening the door for me. Phil is there, cooking dinner for us and he smiles when he sees us walk in. "How'd it go?" Phil asks. "If thats him going easy I'd hate to be the one fighting him when he gives it his all." Phil let's out a laugh. "My entire body is on fire." I say plopping down into a chair. "You'll get used to it." Is all Phil says before going back to work.