𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆

꒰ 𝖼𝗁𝖾𝖼𝗄𝗆𝖺𝗍𝖾 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:·゚

Hear, hear— a message from the Royal Court

Dreaming about fairytales isn't a sin. Wanting to be a princess wasn't a crime and wishing for a knight in shining armor was no offense. Because sometimes the real story is much darker than the narrative created, and no one wants to hear about a happily never after. But in the Outer Banks, the Kook Princess doesn't wait to be rescued. Instead, she takes her destiny into her own hands, charging to slay dragons and battle enemies, even if she has to go it alone.

And that was exactly what Sarah Cameron was determined to do.

The next morning, when Kiara and Pope returned with the HMS Pogue, the group couldn't help but sigh in relief. After another sleepless night, they couldn't wait to get the hell out of there, "Finally- hey!" JJ jogged towards them with the others following closely behind. "Guys, don't tie up! Stop!"

"What? Kiara frowned at them, the rope hanging loosely in her hands.

"We're dipping," JJ was the first to reach them, hopping into the boat before outstretching his hand for Bianca to take.

"Wait, why?" Pope narrowed his eyes at their haste.

"What?" The curly-haired girl questioned as John B helped a limping Sarah into the boat. "What are you talking about?"

"Where'd you guys go?" John B huffed, slightly out of breath. "What happened last night?"

"We slept on the break," The Heyward boy cast Kiara an unsure look before turning back to his friends. Their morning had been awkward, to say the least, "What's up?"

"Slept, right- yeah," JJ scoffed, patting his best friend's shoulder, but it lacked the usual teasing undertone, which only made Pope's frown deepen. "We were up all night."

"We gotta get the hell outta here," John B spoke quickly.

"Rafe knows we're here, so we have to leave- like, now," Bianca told them, standing beside JJ.

"Okay," Kiara nodded fervently, untwining the half-tied up rope as they all piled back into the boat.

The overcast sky was a stark difference from the previous day's sunny weather. The trip through the marsh was even terser, an anxious silence hanging between the group. The clock had struck midnight and gone was their twelve hours of fantasy. The magic had stripped away, leaving them bare once again and reminding the Pogues of the lie they were living. Despite being home, John B was still on the run and they had to be even more careful not to get caught again.

"Look," Kiara began as they huddled in a clearing downstream where they docked. "If Rafe and Barry know it's only a matter of time..."

"Before everyone knows," Pope voiced pessimistically, hanging his head in his hands from where he sat on a plank of wood.