Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Chapter 24

Cameron

Coach really worked us out today. My body is dripping in sweat as everyone heads to the locker room, my muscles aching from head to toe. I'll definitely need an ice bath tonight.

"If fucking Blake didn't throw up we would have had one less lap," Ethan calls out over his shoulder. "Fucking pussy." The rest of the teammates grumble in response, Blake remaining quiet as we begin to undress.

"I think he's just trying to get us ready for homecoming this weekend," I say to try and lighten the mood. After all, I am the captain, right?

"By making us throw up?" Blake seethes.

"By making you throw up," Ethan clarifies. "I believe your vomit was the only one on the field."

"Whatever," he says. "I'm going to be too tired this weekend to even go to the stupid dance. Sarah is way too fucking excited about it."

"Well, she is your girlfriend," I say as I throw my hoodie over my head. "You kind of signed up for that, bro."

Ethan slams his locker shut, obviously still pissed at Blake for the extra lap. "I'm just excited for the after-party. I'm bringing Jennifer, and I could really use some relaxation after today."

I want to agree. I want to tell them that all I want to do is be laid up with Maddie the whole weekend, but I can't. All I can do is shove my practice uniform into my duffel bag as the rest of the guys talk about their plans.

"So, Sadie says she's going with you," Blake says to me. "Is that true?"

"What?" I hiss. "Where the fuck did you hear that? I'm absolutely not going with her."

He throws his hands up, sending me a sheepish grin. "Don't shoot the messenger. I guess she thinks she's going with you."

"Definitely not," I mutter.

"Well, if it's not Sadie then who are you bringing?"

This catches the rest of the guy's attention, including Ethan's. They're all staring at me, and inside I feel like I'm about to explode. I hate being under pressure, and I can't think of anything to say. If I tell them I'm not going with anyone they won't believe me. I always bring someone. Ethan thinks there's some mystery chick, and pretty soon he's going to find out that it's Maddie.

I can't let anyone find out. Maddie is my best-kept secret. We've been inseparable this entire week, and I'm not willing to lose her. If that means putting on a show for the weekend then so be it.

"Kelsey." I finally say and clear my throat. "I haven't, uh, asked her yet, but I'm assuming she'll say yes."

Ethan arches a brow up, and I just know he's about to say something slick.

"So, mystery girl isn't coming anymore?"

"No," I reply with a smirk. "I guess you won't be able to find out who she is after all."

I finish changing and sling the duffel bag over my shoulder. All I want to do is go home, shower, and go the fuck to sleep. Mark is in the corner staying completely out of the conversation. He knows better than to say something, but I see a mischievous grin plastered to his face. He's up to something, I just can't tell what it is.

I don't care what he's got up his sleeve just so long as he keeps Maddie completely out of it.

I'll kill him.

Blake comes up to pat me on the shoulder to interrupt my thoughts, chuckling as he swings open the door. "Good luck with Sadie's wrath when she finds out," he says, the rest of the team snickering behind him. "You're gonna need it."